8/1/11 - Limit in the surf (61st st.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/1/11 - Limit in the surf (61st st.)

Not a brag post by any means but was just excited to have my first limit of trout on top-waters so figured I'd make my first report a good one. Moe's got me a believer on them topwaters now! Report below.

Showed up at 61st street around 5:30 am. Was meeting up with Moe but the ol trusty iphone that's been dropped more times than I can count gave out at a great time so couldn't seem to find him.

Water clarity was AMAZING on both sides of the pier. Bait everywhere.

Saw shad getting busted up so slapped on the ol' jimmy houston SS jr. and went to work. First cast was a 20" keeper trout. It was all downhill from there. It seemed my spook was getting blasted 10 feet in the air every other cast.

The ticket was throwing the spook into pods of mullet and shad.

They would ONLY hit it when I would erratically twitch it then dead stop it. They were hitting on the pause only.

By 9:30 had my first limit of trout on top-waters up to 22" on Jimmy Houston SS jr. in the morning and the white/chart. head SS jr. when the sun came up (they stopped hitting the houston jr. for some reason - wouldn't touch it!)

Would like to say thanks (in no particular order) to: Moe, FP10, Jhua, Kenny and AP for putting up with my stupid a** questions for long enough so that I can go catching and not fishing lol.

Good luck guys and hope you guys tear em' up in that green surf!!!

ps - Will have pictures up by the end of the night.
    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Very nice!! Congrats
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Y'all see how the young uns do the old folk! Dropped telephone! Whateva! While they are limiting out, i'm fighting nots in my line. Cut the line, re-tie the lure, make a cast and another knot is on comes flying out of the reel! I see how friends reallt treat each other now!
      Just kiddin' with ya Sonny! Congrats on the limit on tops! The questions are not stupid if you don't know! Ask! or stand there looking like an idiot!

Moe
      Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Moe don't feel bad. Him and I were supposed to go yesterday and he didn't show up at all......

Comment

Good job thought Sonny. You didn't try the top secret color??

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
            Good job thought Sonny. You didn't try the top secret color??
            I did they wouldn't bite

Tried texting you FP - my phone's a piece gonna get a new one this weekend hopefully! You're ma boy FP!
            I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Originally posted by Moe View Post
              Y'all see how the young uns do the old folk! Dropped telephone! Whateva! While they are limiting out, i'm fighting nots in my line. Cut the line, re-tie the lure, make a cast and another knot is on comes flying out of the reel! I see how friends reallt treat each other now!
              Just kiddin' with ya Sonny! Congrats on the limit on tops! The questions are not stupid if you don't know! Ask! or stand there looking like an idiot!

Moe
              Ha preciate ya ma man!

Comment

The water was amazing last night, bright green and clear to the bottom, all the way to the beach at 33rd st jetty. Free-lined live mullet just off the end to the left, and managed 5 keeper trout 18-22", and one slot red at just over 22". Best day fishing I've had all summer, gonna try it again today.

Comment

Sonny congratulations on your first limit. Way to whack & stack uber. I'm proud of you! Funny, almost all I caught this morning were dinks, but it is interesting we both went to the white/chart head SS. jr.
                  "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by Moe View Post

Moe
                    LOL Moe I bet his phone works when you win that boat!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
                      LOL Moe I bet his phone works when you win that boat!!!
                      Lol Ooooh tough love today...ur a tender emotional guy FP. I bet in high school you were "THAT GUY."

From now on I will refer to u as "that guy." And uber-doosh doesn't compare so you're gonna have to come up with something better. Lol.

But on the real, you've made me feel bad enough FP and I bought you a little somethin sweet on the way home that I'm sure u'll appreciate....use ur context clues u learned w/ ur edumacation and u will figure out what it is LOL
                      Last edited by ubermensch1324; August 1, 2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                        Sonny congratulations on your first limit. Way to whack & stack uber. I'm proud of you! Funny, almost all I caught this morning were dinks, but it is interesting we both went to the white/chart head SS. jr.
                        Thanks my man...means a lot comin from you!

Comment

GAH! I really wish I went out there! But I couldn't miss the meeting today. Had to figure out how much the interns will be paid next tour. :P
                          Resident Ninja

Comment

That beachfront looked sweet today
                            Captain Glenn Stevens
                            Coastal Guide Service
                            www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

WTG Uber!! Nice going, great report. Jeremy messing with -shoot, ya oughta get a bonus!
                              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X