Bolivar trip this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolivar trip this weekend

Im new here and have enjoyed reading through some of the posts.

I am planning a weekend trip to the bolivar side surf mainly to target sharks, anyone catching or seeing any decent sized ones caught? running some Penn 9/0's w/ 800yds of line. I have some frozen stingray but would like to get some fresh bait. I have read the lady fish are in the surf pretty good.

Anyone have a lure suggestion for the lady fish? I once fished near florida and the lure everyone was talking about worked great on them down there. we would catch one almost every cast. Thats been a few years and I cant remember the name of the lure. it was about a 1/4" chrome cylinder with 2 treble hooks. the font had an angle cut on it and was dipped in a reddish orange color. I have been looking everywhere and cant find this lure. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot --- Chris

welcome Chris!

Comment

Thanks man.

Funny how things work.... after posting the name just came to me, Its a Got-Cha jig. I found a place thats on my way tomorrow that has them too so I will be picking a couple up. Says they are good for smacks too and I've heard reports of them in the surf also. Hoping it will be a good weekend. 4 tides tommorow! Im READY.

Comment

Welcome!

We had a good trip with the bull reds a couple weeks back. Used fresh whiting as bait ~100yds out. I always catch ladyfish when I am fishing for something else... I bet if you fished early in the morning with live shrimp, you could catch fish that would be good bait and maybe some nice specks too.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
          Welcome!

We had a good trip with the bull reds a couple weeks back. Used fresh whiting as bait ~100yds out. I always catch ladyfish when I am fishing for something else... I bet if you fished early in the morning with live shrimp, you could catch fish that would be good bait and maybe some nice specks too.
          Welcome! Yeah, I never purposefully catch lady fish, but I usually get them on live shrimp. Anyhow, I would just get some dead shrimp and catch some sandies and croaker and use those for sharks. I used to do that at the rigs when a shark came by the boat.
          Resident Ninja

Comment

Unfortunatley I dont get off work till 7 am and I'm up in the Woodlands. I wont be able to make it for the good morning fishing hours. We will put out the cut stingray while we try to catch something fresh. Staying till sunday so we should get something decent.

Comment

6'+ Bull shark caught on cut stingray
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	555507
              48" wide Stingray caught on a 14" whole whiting.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	555508

Both were released after pictures.

Comment

very nice!
                sigpic

Comment

Gotta ask....on the stingray, how do you handle it without someone getting hit by the barb? Y'all cut the tail or just take your chances???

Comment

Wow-cool. No way you'd see me holding a 6' bull or a 48" ray!! Too scary for me.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

After the fight that shark had nothing left. He hardly kicked at all. After the pics it took about 15 minutes in the water to get him going again. I took him out about knee deep and when he was ready just pushed him off.

The ray came in with no tail. Anytime I have ever caught a ray i slice off the barb. I have heard the barb will grow back. Im not sure if the whole tail will grow back if you cut it off though. This guy had about a 4" tail. Looked like it was cut off just in front of the barb but it was healed over. had to have been some time ago.

Anyone know for sure about the tail/barb growing back??

Comment

Cool! Glad ya'll had some success.

I'm not sure, but I think they can regrow the barb. Doubt they can regrow the whole tail, cause I've caught one with the tail chopped off too, and it seemed to be doing fine.

Comment

i have seen those lures at wal-mart, the one near my house in La Porte/Deer Park. I almost bought one, glad i didnt because lady fish suck.

Comment

Working...
                          X