9/22 afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/22 afternoon

I made it down to Galveston to get some fishing done for the first time in over a month. My time was limited as the wife and I have just had our first child, but I was able to get out for a couple of hours. First off, West Bay Bait and Tackle closed which is very unfortunate. I had to go down to Sea Isle to get a pint of shrimp before hitting up the surf. I went out in front of pirates and the water was as clear as I have ever seen it. I was neck deep and could see my feet! Waded out to the second bar and proceeded to have my 20# leader cut 4 times in half an hour with no fish to show for it. I finally got a hook into something and lo and behold it was a ~24 inch Spanish mackerel. As I had no steel leader and I did not want to stop fishing I donated a couple more hooks before catching another ~28 inch fish and called it a day. I'm giving guestimates on the length as I threw the fish back because I have heard they are not that good to eat and I only have a 21 inch mark on my rod for reds. The bite had slowed and I needed to get home. All in all a great afternoon on the water.

Smacks are good! But way to get out there!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Thanks for the report. West Bay Bait closes every year after Labor Day-Jerry & Becky go to their place near Wharton until spring. They also are trying to sell their bait camp ($1MM+ I believe-good luck!!). Sea Isle is better to get bait at anyway-they give better quarts. Right now only Rusty Hook and Sea Isle will have bait.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

They have been trying to get that price for what three years now at least...no way...
        sigpic

Comment

Small smacks make great fish dip (get recipe online). Smoke 'em (but they're hard to light)
          Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
          "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Dont let anyone tell you somthing ( like a fish ) is not good to eat unless you have tried it yourself... some dont like Mackerel or jack, ( i personally dont mind it ) and found ways to make them both taste great, that goes for every other fish out there ... anywho, my rant for the day... lol
            Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

I've had kingfish and it's OK. I think I have just set a high bar with trout and redfish which are pretty damn tasty! I'll have to keep a smack next time and give it a try.

Comment

BTW how long of a steel leader do you need for smacks? I know for sharks it needs to be the length of their body.

Comment

really 6"to1' steel leader is all i have ever used, your going to get like 50 dif. ways to do this im sure... but i have never been broke off by a smack with 1' steel leader... even caught them on topwaters before without steel...
                  Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

make sure not to use a silver or gold swivel to attach the leader to the mono. The smacks will see it and hit it and cut you off. use piano wire leader with a haywire knot. You can find it at academy.

Comment

I use black coated wire 18" leaders for smacks and don't have any trouble. BTW smacks are GREAT smoked, hickory is the best imo.

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks for the info

Comment

Congrats on the new addition Eric! Cody is back in town if you can pull him out of his hole
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

nice...... but on west bay bait n tackle being closed..... o well.... i never cared for that joint ever since i went to get some mud minnows there once and was RUDELY inlightend that they were not indigenous to the area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao...... rusty hook for life..
                            if i dnt catch dinner, i will catch a buzz. it works out!

Comment

RUDELY inlightend that they were not indigenous to the area!
                              LOL, bull. Gulf killifish are about as native as you can get.

Comment

Working...
                              X