What Bait Can I use...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Bait Can I use...

When I only have a couple of hours to be in the surf, usually in the middle of the day and I dont want to drop the coin on live shrimp that Ill never use up? Topwaters? Spoons? Don't fish at all? Something I can get at the supermarket?

Plastics with lead heads, or sinking hard baits always work best for middle of the day for me. The fish seem to move deeper in the water column as it gets warmer throughout the day.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have penny gulp shrimp and some kind of Chartreuse Gulp swirly tail thing. Any other recommendation for what I should get or throw in the way of lures? I have some top waters too.

Comment

Throw tops first and if they don't work, throw chartreuse plastics and go back to the tops occasionally.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

If I only had a little time, I'd throw gulps on jig heads. Try what you've got but work them in different ways so you are hitting different strata of water. Bump them off the bottom, drag them along the bottom, work them higher. Tops are always fun if you have the confidence to throw them.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I like 1/4 or 1/8 jigs with paddle tail soft plastics. The bite can pick up again midday sometimes.

There is no limit on snotsharks but they must be >14"

Comment

Snot any limits on em Rock Fish! great idea!! Throw em in the cooler and use a pressure washer on em before ya clean em! Now yer talkin!
              West Bay Sensai...

Comment

X2
                Originally posted by Texfish View Post
                Plastics with lead heads, or sinking hard baits always work best for middle of the day for me. The fish seem to move deeper in the water column as it gets warmer throughout the day.
                X2 cant go wrong with this advice as far as what colors go to the store and make note of the ones that are out of stock as those are the popular ones being used right now!! LOL! but true.
                West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Find some medium to large shrimp on sale at the market and then salt them in your refrigerator. Put in a large tuperware container and layer salt/shrimp/salt shrimp....etc. Make sure and use non-iodine salt (very important), it is the cheapest anyway. Keep the tuperware lid open so the shrimp can dehydrate. After about a week in the fridge the shrimp will become rubbery and stiff. They will not rot or go bad. Then you can put thim in individual ziplocs and put in the freezer and use when you need them.

Some people peel them, some don't. I have tried both ways and I like to keep the shell on....seems to attract more black drum for me. For small hooks, I cut them in half. Just use your imagination!

Flyntus

Comment

Finger mullet
                    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Ghandi

Comment

x2 on mullet
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        I like 1/4 or 1/8 jigs with paddle tail soft plastics. The bite can pick up again midday sometimes.

There is no limit on snotsharks but they must be >14"
                        yep!
                        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

LoL
                          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I caught a 4 foot bull shark in the surf a few months ago with a bleeding finger mullet
                            "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Ghandi

Comment

Working...
                            X