Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf

Went to the Freeport surf yesterday around 6:30am. The water was a little off color so I walked the jetty and threw soft plastics back into the surf side. I caught sand trout until my arms fell off thinking that a nice speck would eventually take my glow/chartreuse minnow. Some of them were a respectable size but most were small. I did see one speck caught....
    Fishwhisperer

Once again, The lowly sand trout saves the day,glad to see ya got out and had some catching as well!
    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

we were catching specs down towards the pass in the middle of the day,some nice ones 19 to 24 inches.
      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
        we were catching specs down towards the pass in the middle of the day,some nice ones 19 to 24 inches.
        Sweet
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Good report Randy, at least you were catching
          Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
          (AKA Evans Marine Services)
          4340 19th St.
          Bacliff, Texas 77518
          http://evansmarine.net
          http://boatwerxtx.com
          main@boatwerxtx.com
          281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
            Sweet
            Sweeet x2
            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Thinking about hitting the beach front in the morning, or either trying down the jettie. A buddy was saying he caught some nice ones at the pass on galveston side a couple days ago.
              Karma's a beach.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
                Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                Sweet
                X2
                "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

My son and I hit the surf west of San Luis Pass bridge Saturday morning at sunrise. We were free-lining Croaker and boxed 18 up to 23".

Guy next to us was fishing live shrimp under a popping cork and only strung 1 trout, but it was a nice one at 22".

Bite did not start for us until about 7:30 but was pretty steady until 9:30 or so when the water color started getting ugly.

Had a great father/son outing with my 16 yr old and hope to do it again when the green water starts staying inshore more frequently.

Thanks to all the fellow WEA members who were kind enough to provide surf and water quality reports earlier in the week via this site; it made the difference between sleeping in or hitting the water.

Regards, TXDU001

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trout 6-2-12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	557540
                  Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid - John Wayne

Comment

Oh, and by the way...

Before Trout started to bite, I hooked "something" that damn near spooled my entire reel before the hook finally gave way. In my 40+ years of fishing, I don't remember not being able to at least slow a fish down with the drag etc... - not this one gents.

Didn't hit or tug like a bull red, guessing it was either a very large ray or a shark. The latter being my guess as it cleanly sheared my PowerPro and left no signs of the knot. Also might explain why the Trout bite started late...
                    Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid - John Wayne

Comment

Might have been a big jack.
                      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Wow! Heck of a stringer there TXDU!
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me by the boat cut last week at the jetty.
                          Karma's a beach.

Comment

same thing happend to me sat. whatever it was came out of the water but i didnt get a look.i think it was a tarpon.
                            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

I would love to catch a trapon. Spook is the new Tarpon guide for the site.
                              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...
                              X