Surf Shark Fishing Friday 4/5/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Shark Fishing Friday 4/5/13

Last Friday I hit the beach with a couple friends, JM and Sean to catch some sharks. JM is the guy who I was with for the RMH shark tourney last summer that we got first place in with a 8'4" Lemon Shark. He's our shark guy where as I'm more of the shallow water bay guy but I always join him for his shark trips. He's got a sweet trailer that he had made last year. We use it every time we shark fish. It makes for good storage and the platform on top allows for good clearance for the line to escape the weed and surf. We wanted to hit it before the Sandbar Shark migration stopped and as the Bulls start to come in. JM fished a few weeks ago and got a 5'1/2" and a 3'1/2". Both Sandbars.

We didn't have any stingrays (our preferred shark bait) so we caught some whiting and a black drum and ran those out on the kayaks 400-600 yards out. Just the usual grindwork for our shark trips.

Mid-afternoon we hooked up on our first shark. It kept making runs and then dropping the bait. It did this maybe 4 or 5 times. It was trying to swallow the whiting whole. We finally got a good hook set and we were on! We could tell he was pretty big cuz he was pullin. Almost pulled JM off the platform at one point. After 20-25 minutes we got him past the sandbars and in close. I went out and leadered it and brought it in. She was a nice 7' Sandbar and a bit preggers, so she had girth too. We took our pics and released her back.

Maybe half an hour later, we got another hit. We let Sean take it since he hadn't fought one before. Took him maybe 10-15 minutes to get in. JM and I brought him in. He was a solid 6' Sandbar. A good first shark for Sean. Not too long of a fight but a nice shark. Again CPRd.

We didn't get another hit for a while after that one. Our other friend Chris joined us a little before dark. Around maybe 9 while we were grilling burgers, we got another run. JM got up there and set the hook and we were good. Wasn't a long fight and pretty soon he was over the sandbars and I was in the water leadering him. He was a feisty one and actually threw me as I was dragging him in. The combination of his thrashing and a wave knocked me back. Luckily I was behind him. Anyway I dragged him in. We forgot the measuring tape but he was in the 5-6 ft range. Again another Sandbar Shark. After a photo sesh, I dragged him back out and released him. I personally prefer to leader the fish and do the releasing. Fighting the fish from the trailer is just a lot of physical work. I like getting up close and personal with the sharks.

That was the last one we got. It got windy and cold late in the night so we hunkered down in our trucks. In the morning when we brought in all the lines, one was cut. Not sure what it was, there's plenty of things that'll cut line out there. It was too windy and the surf was a mess so we packed it up and headed back to my place.

It was a good trip with some solid sharks caught and as usual when we're together, we had a lot of fun. Probably won't be able to make another trip til at least mid-March after schools out. We look forward to it though and to doing the RMH shark tourney again. Although we have a lot of pressure now after winning it last year haha. But however it goes it'll be a blast. Sharks are awesome creatures. We just love em.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	573563Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1878[1].jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	573564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877[1].jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	573565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1880[1].jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	573566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882[1].jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	573567Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874[1].jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	573568
    You never know what the tide might bring

Those look like Bull Sharks, not Sandbar Sharks. I believe Sandbar Sharksw are actually fairly rare and are endangered and don't get that big. The tails look like bulls to me in your pics, but I aint no shark expert.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Sounds like a fun time. Thanks for sharing.
      "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Those look like Bull Sharks, not Sandbar Sharks. I believe Sandbar Sharksw are actually fairly rare and are endangered and don't get that big. The tails look like bulls to me in your pics, but I aint no shark expert.
        Trust me, they're sandbars. We catch a lot of both and once you see them that much you can tell the difference. They're similar and frequently confused but sandbars have a more pointed head while bulls have a characteristically broad one along with some other characteristics. They're actually not that rare. March is their annual migration and they are heavy in the surf at that time. We don't get them as mulch in the summer. The bulls and black tips are more numerous then. It's easy to confuse them but people who shark fish a lot come down here this time of year to get in on the Sandbar action.

Comment

Sweet. I like doing that to catch bull reds. And when it's flat sitting out there anchored up getting pulled around. Good job dude
          Karma's a beach.

Comment

Way to go! Looks like y'all had fun. Thanks for the CPR too.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks for the clarification JFD. I dint know sandbar sharks got that big. Now I'll be scared of them along with the bulls when I surf fish!!!!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

That is sweet. Gets me pumped up for wading the surf for trout!
                KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Sweet. I like doing that to catch bull reds. And when it's flat sitting out there anchored up getting pulled around. Good job dude
                  Thanks. Yea this summer I'm gonna be going out in the surf a lot on flat days in my kayak to troll for kings and catch some jacks and smacks. Maybe even try for some cobia.

Thanks for the clarification JFD. I dint know sandbar sharks got that big. Now I'll be scared of them along with the bulls when I surf fish!!!!!
                  Sure thing. Yea a lot of people just see them and think they're bulls cuz they're not one of the more famous species. But they're a nice fight and pretty lively when they get to shore.

Curmudgeon: That's how we always do it. We'll only keep maybe one small one a year cuz they're a lot of meat and it's best eaten relatively fresh and with the amount of meat on the big ones, it's just hard to eat it all soon enough. But we love em and know how important they are for the ecosystem so we try our hardest to be gentle with them and get them back out without any harm done.

Comment

Looks like a killer time!

Comment

Originally posted by JFD94 View Post
                      Thanks. Yea this summer I'm gonna be going out in the surf a lot on flat days in my kayak to troll for kings and catch some jacks and smacks. Maybe even try for some cobia.

Sure thing. Yea a lot of people just see them and think they're bulls cuz they're not one of the more famous species. But they're a nice fight and pretty lively when they get to shore.

Curmudgeon: That's how we always do it. We'll only keep maybe one small one a year cuz they're a lot of meat and it's best eaten relatively fresh and with the amount of meat on the big ones, it's just hard to eat it all soon enough. But we love em and know how important they are for the ecosystem so we try our hardest to be gentle with them and get them back out without any harm done.
                      Ill have to hit u up and join
                      Karma's a beach.

Comment

I have some videos I shot with my gopro. I just got it though so I'm still figuring out all the editing and stuff. Was able to post a few clips to Facebook. I'll try to post them here. They're pretty sweet.

Comment

looks like lots of fun was had. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. As long as you don't hear the JAWS music you're safe... Once the JAWS music starts someone a victum of the game...
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

You're done when this starts playing... Fo'Sho'
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

nice catching. I haven't surf fished for sharks in a while. I need to get back to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X