(Video) Surf 5/4/13 Shark and Bull Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Video) Surf 5/4/13 Shark and Bull Red

Yesterday morning, I decided to hit the surf solo in that calm period. Got some bait and paddled out at sunrise. Wanted to see if I could find some of the first kings and jacks, or just smacks and trout. It was perfectly flat but no surface action or birds. So I went maybe 400 yds out and anchored. Dropped a bull red rig with cut mullet down and set out a free-lined live croaker.

Soon, the red rig was hit. Didn't know what it was. I fought it for around 20-25 minutes letting it pull me around. Finally, I saw that it was a shark of decent size. Not too big, not too small, good for the kayak. 4-4 1/2 ft long. A late season Sandbar. Thought they'd all migrated out by now, but apparently not. Cut the leader and let her go. It was my first shark caught on the kayak. Fun but a bit intimidating, especially cuz I was solo.

I decided to troll some baits. Thought I hooked up on something but turned out a pelican took my bait. Had to bring it over and free it. Jeez.

Southerly winds picked up and it started to chop up, so I dropped another bull red rig around 300 yds out and paddled into shore. Maybe 10 minutes after I got in, I had a run. Set the hook and it was on! Again, I wasn't sure what it was. It put up a good fight. Maybe 25 minutes. I was starting to think it was a small shark cuz it didn't want to come over the last sandbar. Had to wrestle it over and finally got it in. Turned out to be a nice bull red! 40" and heavy! My personal best redfish. After some pics, I released her back into the surf. I decided to call it a day even though I would've liked to have dropped some more baits and continued fishing from shore. I just wasn't properly set up for that and it would've been a bother. But it was a great day and I'm glad I got out in that little calm period of wind.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2043[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	574134Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2045[1].jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	574135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040[1].jpg
Size:	26.5 KB