What are your absolute "no-go" surf conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your absolute "no-go" surf conditions

My surf experience is limited. I've had a couple really good days and a couple bust days, but I'm looking to spend more time in the surf this year. My dilemma is that I live in Tomball and can't just drop everything and run to the surf when it's flat and green. I basically have 2-3 days a month to get down to fish and want to make the most of them. I'm looking to target specks and reds on arties.
    My question for you guys is this: What condititions make you guys decide to avoid the surf?
    Wind direction/speed, swell size, water color/clarity, barometric pressure...ect.
    My experience in the surf has been swells less than 1.5. I've basically avoided the surf otherwise (fished the bay on these days). Hope this question isn't too broad. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jimmy

Exactly what you said. Too rough = no go. I have no desire to get the crap beat out of me trying to fish. If it's rough I go to the bay side.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Bad currents on rough days.
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Most of them. I hate getting the you-know-what beat out of me when I'm trying to fish.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

All of that plus when there's too many little white, skinny legs 15 yards apart for as far as you can see

Comment

I think what we're trying to say is there's a whole lot of bad that can happen real fast in the surf.
            If it's rough then not only is it a more life threatening situation but you'll be almost guaranteed to have a full reel breakdown and clean in your immediate future, it's easy to lose tackle should you decide you need it with you and even when it's "perfect" it'll throw you a curve ball.
            i.e. a few weeks ago I hit Surfside and it was beautiful, calm waves barely breaking over the first sandbar and bait everywhere. Too much bait actually.
            As soon as I starting popping trout a shark starting smashing the same raft of mullet that I was standing in.
            I'm glad nobody saw me hit the surf emergency eject button that day.

Comment

Thanks for the practical advice. Safety is my number one priority followed by comfort and the protection of my gear.

Comment

can't just drop everything and run to the surf when it's flat and green
                Unfortunately that's the name of the game.

I will say I've done well on marginal days when it doesn't fit the stereotypical pattern. First trout limit I caught on artis was in the surf at 1pm in October with sandy water.

Go when you can. If there is a stronger wind, the water in the Bolivar Pocket stays calm during most wind directions but E or NE. I have seen waders coming out with nice stringers from there.

Comment

Off colored water. I have caught nice trout in rough water but you have to stay away from the bigger waves or get pounded...
                  Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                  X