8-14,15-2015 surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-14,15-2015 surf

Me and a friend walked the rocks of the south jetty Friday . We were tossing top waters before sun up. The water was calm but a little off color from the backwash of the jetty . Our high hopes were dashed though as my friend caught only one keeper trout on top and myself a throw back trout on a silver spoon . We saw a keeper trout caught by a fellow using shrimp . At 8 am my buddy went home and I drove down the seawall and to the west end looking for clean water and bait . I fished a beach access pocket until 10 am without success .

Saturday I fished Follet Island . I was in the water with a Topwater before sun rise . Another fisherman throwing soft plastics got no bites but some croaker soakers strung some trout . At 8 am I moved farther down the beach and fished to 10 am . I caught a too small trout on a 51 MR 28 ( red -gold-yellow ) . I lost two keeper trout using the same lure .

Well , phooey
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

A valiant effort, my friend. Not my favorite time of year, mainly because of the excessive temps and my getting older and hopefully wiser. Come on November when I can go out at noon and still be comfortable.

Comment

Great effort Henry. Wish you would have had 2 limits.

Comment

Glad you got out.., still better than working.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

The Boilers on Folletts was always our go to place in the surf in the 60's. Between 2nd and 3rd bar in the parallels. Right after dark and before sunrise best times.
          Skip school and leave so we could get back in the am and party at night in the PM. Croakers and freeline shrimp or silver spoons with a sliver of red surveyers tape on the hook.
          Last time I was there the sargassum was 3ft deep last year. Havent seen the boilers in years.

You were in a great place. If you saw dolphins nearby head for the truck. They run the trout.
          "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

My friend is my age , 66 , MG , but unlike myself , has fished Galveston since high school . He's always lamenting the current state of affairs in regards to the ruination of fishing by the increase of fishermen and housing development . Yep , it all use to be much better 50 years ago but it is what it is . Heck , I use to be much better 50 years ago , HAR !
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Actually the red fishing is better, trout almost the same, flounder way worse. Boats bettter, engines far better, tackle better, coolers better, ice the same, beer same, Indica way bbetter, women same, kids are kids, politics worse, etc. I miss the bamboo hut, the Catacombs, and the Purple Pit, and Harris Drive inn and the Oasis, but at almost 65 I get by.

Nope, these ARE THE GOOD OL DAYS.

Comment

The cellar door, Slugs, catacombs, and every hotel-motel on the seawall had a live music bar and dance floor for us to abuse. And yes the fishing was much better. Plugger missed all this mg, growing up in martha's vineyard.

Comment

YOU TWO ARE SHOWING YOUR AGE ..... I WISH I HAD SOMEONE TO HELP ME ALONG BACK THEN . ME AND TWO FRIENDS MADE AN EFFORT IN HIGH SCHOOL TO FISH GALVESTON BUT DIDN'T HAVE A MENTOR AND QUITE AFTER THE SEVERAL SKUNKS .

MARTHA'S VINEYARD !? I'M OF HUMBLE HOUSTON ORIGEN , NOT A KENNEDY .

Comment

i miss the quick stops and 7-11's that sold beer in pitchers along the seawall. That should come back, to slow down litter and the popo having hard evidence. Lots easier emptying a pitcher instead of a 6 pack of cans.
                    Miss seeing the beach seines also. They used to fill truckloads with fish.

Plugger may have been up on Allens Landing on North Side. Used to be a strip joint few blocks over, believe if I remember called the Flique. Get anything and everything there except a dog house sink.

The pressure cookers on Telephone Rd. and the girls ranch on Dickinson Road and no A/C anywhere except the movie houses and a few groceries stores.

Dont believe I know much of Humble except used to be able to buy gasoline there when it was 19.9 a gallon from the gas wars.

Nope, these are still the good ol days.

Took boat out this am and suffered in the heat. Found a patch of dinks and depleted a pint of shrimps. Only hooked up 3 possible in the slots. No reds, no flat fish on this reef,1 nice drum, too many TR's, but about a dozen croakers. Picked up on 1 rain shower and got cool and then suffered when the sun dried my tshirt.
                    Damn thermostat shut me down 2-3 times. Shes sticking right after I crank up and go about 100yds. Gotta get that thing outa there.

Comment

Originally posted by plugger View Post
                      YOU TWO ARE SHOWING YOUR AGE ..... I WISH I HAD SOMEONE TO HELP ME ALONG BACK THEN . ME AND TWO FRIENDS MADE AN EFFORT IN HIGH SCHOOL TO FISH GALVESTON BUT DIDN'T HAVE A MENTOR AND QUITE AFTER THE SEVERAL SKUNKS .

MARTHA'S VINEYARD !? I'M OF HUMBLE HOUSTON ORIGEN , NOT A KENNEDY .
                      Lol. You're the best, bro!

Comment

You didn't say how big those trout were that you lost........LOL
                        Fishwhisperer

Comment

Randy , I estimate the two trout were around 17-18 inches .

Comment

Henry, I tried real hard to give you a chance at missing a state record…….
                            Fishwhisperer

Comment

Originally posted by rtoler View Post
                              Henry, I tried real hard to give you a chance at missing a state record…….
                              Lmao!
                              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                              X