468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9-28-11 Seabrook afternoon wade and Gars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-28-11 Seabrook afternoon wade and Gars?

Fished seabrook yesterday. Decided that with the winds being this high lately was going to just stay local and figure out a few areas and find protected waters. Just wanted to wet a line for a few hours even though it was mid afternoon and probably wouldn't be optimal.

Found a nice little spot to wade in and throw into the channel and drag it across what appears to be a huge drop off. The bottom is a mud/shell/rock mix which should prove to be pretty good for winter. Most importantly it's right under everyone's noses and no it's not FP10s spot. Looks like it could hold some promise.

Water Clarity: Muddy
    Winds: 20mph SW

Checked the tide charts and found moving water the most from 1pm through about 4pm. The bite has seemed to be mainly during the day in seabrook for me. I haven't been posting many reports but I've been doing well around that time lately.

Waded out to the spot and was welcomed with about a million small sand trout. Place is a sand trout haven. Caught one small flounder, a bunch of small sand trout and some ugly dog fish thing I could have done without.

About an hour later I see this huge surfacing fish (it appeared to be a humongous redfish) so I switch to the spook instantly. My heart was racing and I was having deja vu of hooking up with that huge 37" red on the bone ss jr. back in silverwolf and moe's spot. Was going for a round 2.

Saw him surfacing and was chunking a little past him working it slowly over his wake. Out of nowhere BOOM! As soon as I took my eyes off it felt the weight and drag started pulling. I forgot I didn't have much line on after the fact so I figured this would probably be game over for me.

Got it close to the net and it ended up being a 19" speck. Nice I'll take it! Continued throwing the spook with no blowups. Switched to a soft plastic and hooked up with a huge sand trout - it was 17" and almost as long as the speck.

Some guy was there and told me there are two huge gars in this little place. Comforting. I have never seen fish this huge surface before and it's an understatement to say it's a sight to see them tackle bait. I wonder if they were running all the fish off?

Stayed out there from 1pm - 4pm. I'm figuring out this area slowly and I should have been out there earlier. Love throwing topwaters right in front of those drop offs especially when it's been hot seems fish like that deep water transition as it's an easy escape from the hot weather we've had all summer.

Going for a round 2 today to see if seabrook is going to treat me right. With all the times I've been skunked there I figure the fishing gods really owe me on this one.

Tight lines!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	seabrook9262011 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	570325
    Last edited by ubermensch1324; September 28, 2011, 11:07 AM.
    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Im the guy u met out there.those where sum pretty big reds surfacing eh?hah u wernt kidding bout that sand trout either.nice
    Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

I bet that gulf trout made you think you had a solid 22+ spec on, then when you got that coarse wanka in you were like SOB!

Comment

"Some guy was there and told me there are two huge gars in this little place. Comforting. I have never seen fish this huge surface before and it's an understatement to say it's a sight to see them tackle bait. I wonder if they were running all the fish off?" To answer your question, no they don't run the game fish off, I have a spot I fish that has multiple gars, one is easily 8ft, I know this because the yak I was in is 8 ft and it was as long as it if not more when it surfaced next to me one evening, but I have seen them and still steadily caught fish with them being there, so at least in that spot they do not run the fish off, and they bust mullet like no other!

Comment

Respool your reel! See ya later today!
          Resident Ninja

Comment

wtg! sounds like a good spot.
            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fathernson View Post
              Im the guy u met out there.those where sum pretty big reds surfacing eh?hah u wernt kidding bout that sand trout either.nice
              Ha ha. Yea man was fun hanging out and exchanging fishing stories. Going out there today and I think Jhua from the forums is going. Hoping for the best but any time on the water and away from the old lady is GOOD TIME. LOL.

Really hope she doesn't read the forums!
              I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Nice job, Sonny! That's one big sandie!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Stay out of my spots!!!

Comment

I have always found gars to be a good sign. They show up for the same reasons as reds and specks do.

Comment

I saw you fishing yesterday afternoon.....
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

anytime you see gar there will be sandies around come winter sonny i will take you to a spot were the gars will roll and slapayak!
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

one on tops and the other on plastic. sounds like the confidence is getting higher. great job and pic. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                          X