Skittish Reds & Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skittish Reds & Slam

Headed to Seabrook after work and worked an area I am exploring. Started with topwaters but there was very little surface bait. I saw plenty of railing reds but they would move away once I got within casting distance. It was very frustrating since I had perfect shots at 5 of 6 reds. Even with perfect casts, they went.around my topwater. I then decided to change tactics and switch to my morning glory hackberry. The tide was coming in so the tails went away but I knew the fish were still there. Worked the area and had a flounder thump the hackberry. Have it 10 seconds and set the hook. It was a solid flounder which did an early release once I got a look at it. Continued to work the area. I reached a good mud flat and blind casted out. A big red hit after the 3rd hop and took off. Drag screaming I tried to gain line. Then it made a sudden change and went towards an oyster bed. I tightened the drag and he popped off. I had another hackberry rigged and quickly tied it on. 4th cast I hooked onto another red. The drag screamed again and I made sure it didn't go anywhere near the oysters. It ended up being a 21 incher. The red had completly inhaled the lure. Next cast I had a trout thump it. Brought up a skinny 16. Released him to grow/fatten up. I took a few more steps and casted out again. I felt the tell-tale bump of a flounder. I let this one sit for a while. I set the hook....and nothing. Figuring the line may have been clipped I reeled in my line. Then...Zzzzzzzz.....the flounder had been swimming towards me and went right past me to the oyster bed. It came up and it was a 20 plus fat flounder. The line went limp and it swam away. Called it a day after that. I gave my red to a guy.
    Resident Ninja

Are you referring to the lagoon on the inside of the toddville bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by SeabrookDave View Post
      Good luck with that one there Dave.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeabrookDave View Post
        Nope
        Resident Ninja

Comment

I know where he was -- it was that spot over there by that other spot -- but not quite as far as that spot way in the back behind that thing-a-ma-jig in front of the doo-hickey.

That about right Jonathan?
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

It must be seadrift flats!
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Thanks for the report Johnny!!
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                I know where he was -- it was that spot over there by that other spot -- but not quite as far as that spot way in the back behind that thing-a-ma-jig in front of the doo-hickey.

That about right Jonathan?
                Meh close enough.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Killed the trout in seabrook today. Landed a 21" with TTU wader this morning on a skitterwalk. He apparently was tearing them up before I got there.

Went out for a second session and bagged 4 more in the flats upwards of 22". Will post the skinny in a bit.

Good catchin J. I will be there tomorrow morning bright and early.

PS - Took phone out with me in the water today on accident in my pocket so my phone will be off PM me on here if u need something.
                  I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

You're a redfish machine!
                    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Way to go, J!
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Comment

John-I think you and Sonny have a consiracy to control those flats! LET ME IN! I can keep a secret!
                          Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
                          "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Very nice!
                            sigpic
                            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Good yob...!
                              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                              X