Wade Fishing SeaWolf Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wade Fishing SeaWolf Park

I'm sure this question has been hashed over several times, but I did a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for. So if anyone can help a fisherman out, I would appreciate it!

Going to wade fish SeaWolf this weekend. I havent waded the Wolf since 2004, so I'm sure MUCH has changed, and I have a few questions.

1. Parking- We used to park on the road before SeaWolf park and take that trail to the right. However I have heard that there have been many break in's to people parked, as well as cops issuing tickets and towing people. If I pay and park in SeaWolf, is there a place to safely get into the water to wade the southwest side of the park, by the ship? I remember there being a retaining wall there in the past, not sure if I can start a wade there if I park in SeaWolf.

2. I have never wade fished to opposite side of the park, the big flat between the pier and the Selma (concrete ship wreck). I have fished it in a kayak many years ago, and know there are some pretty big holes out there to watch out for. Is this worth a try wading as well?

3. I will have a guy relatively new to fishing with me. Is it worth tracking down some mud minnows, or just stick with plastics? What do yall recommend?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I would have live bait, but that's how I fish.
    I can't answer parking questions.
    The flat you speak of is productive and you can wade for hours out there and stay in waist deep water. Just shuffle to avoid rays and holes and you'll be fine.

Personally, I like the other side and wade the galveston channel. If you walk back almost to the fuel dock where the old quarantine station used to be, there are numerous clusters of rocks, tires and a round concrete structure that I find to hold a bunch of flounder this time of year.

Comment

If you look at the current google maps satellite view, it looks as if it was taken during the flounder run. Just look at where all the folks are in the water and note where the drop off is. You can see the rip rap I was talking about since the water is clear and the tide is low when it was taken.

Comment

Greg,

Thats some great info, thank you very much! I will definitely check out the google map!

Can I access the Galveston Ship Channel side from inside the park? Or would we have to walk 1/4 mile down the road to that little trail?

Anyone els with other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

If you park inside the park you have to walk back to channel side. Go get some gulp if ya want to fish plastics they have produced more fish for me rather than other plastics. Not sure size off fish on channel side but on flat side still quite a few small ones. And if ya go on the weekend be prepared you'll have fifty or so new found friends. Good luck.....and don't catch em all.

Comment

And yes u can wade bay side from inside the park just go slowly when getting in lots of rocks in the way.

Comment

Working...
            X