Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barometric pressures and trout

TO ALL:
    Im of coarse a big west bay trout angler. As you know if you fish the west bay complex, our trout are very fickle. They really keep us on our toes. My question is: In your experiences..... Do you find that the trout seem to bite better on a rising pressure or a falling one? Have you found a certain BPressure that they seem to target in on? just like when we fish for the big lunkers on the backside of a cold front? To say the least... I've had some very good days this winter so far, but when I get skunked... I really get skunked big. Literally not one bite. Any advise anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

In general , a rising BP is not good . A falling one is good , 30 or below is good . Fish turn on just before a cold front approaches . The day after with blue bird sky the BP will be high and fishing tough .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I've always liked a falling barometer but my pal Termo is the real authority concerning patterns and nuances relative to bay fishing and catching the big three. He always puts me on the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by westbaytroutassasin View Post
        TO ALL:
        Im of coarse a big west bay trout angler. As you know if you fish the west bay complex, our trout are very fickle. They really keep us on our toes. My question is: In your experiences..... Do you find that the trout seem to bite better on a rising pressure or a falling one? Have you found a certain BPressure that they seem to target in on? just like when we fish for the big lunkers on the backside of a cold front? To say the least... I've had some very good days this winter so far, but when I get skunked... I really get skunked big. Literally not one bite. Any advise anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
        Last month you posted about catching a 9,some 8's and a hand full of 6's on the day of the FWE tourney(no pics of course),and that was one of the coldest,nastiest days we have had this winter.Now,your crying about getting skunked and saying West Bay trout are fickle(which couldn't be any further from the truth).Asking questions about when trout bite better,rising or falling barometer.For someone who can catch 6-9 lb trout when it's 40 degrees outside and a stiff North wind at 20 plus,it seems odd for you to be asking advise about targeting big trout during abnormal conditions,not getting a single bite and getting completely shut out.Is this a legitimate post?,or was that day you claim you caught a 9 and 3 8's a bunch of BS?.I'm leaning towards the latter of the 2 questions.You seem to know where big trout are,why ask for advice?
        TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

I ask because on those specific days the pressure was on the rise. and above 30 milibars. So by all accounts I should not have caught anything by that rational. I went out on a day where the pressure was falling and everything should be jiving and got totally skunked. The fickle remark was more directed towards lure choice and colors as my usual arsenal didn't turn one trout's head. Im always trying to learn from anglers with more experience and talents than I have in the hopes that I may be educated in becoming a better angler. That was a pristine day and without a doubt the best day I have ever had. I really would like a repeat day just like that one as its never happened to me. Was it all a fluke? well maybe, but why the negative? I just figured you guys would be interested in a really good day of fishing I had. I do really appreciate the positive input a couple of you guys put down to help me confirm... WHAT I ALREADY NEW..... FLAPPER. The only way to get info is to pose a question to those that are more informed than yourself. I not too proud to ask. Im just now in the past year trying to compete in more tourneys to challenge myself, but I tell you what flapper... How about we set up a little tourney between a few of us and maybe we can settle this little debate on the water. We will fish west bay only and the biggest trout of the day wins. Everyone likes a little friendly competition. I know I do. Lets have some fun. Being a senior member and weigh master you wouldn't have anything to worry about from a guy like me now would ya. Im listed as a greenhorn after all and I probably wont even put one in the live well. Should be a cake walk for you. Let me know

Comment

By the way I keep trying to post some pics but its wanting me to convert them into a HTML format. I keep getting a error screen.

Comment

Perfect.The next tournament is the FWE big trout tourney on the 25th,and it's West Bay only.Throw down your money,enter the event and bring in some of those big trout.There is a side pot for biggest trout,which should be right up your alley.Put your money where your mouth is and lets see where you end up.I know your not scared considering those 6-9 lbers came on the day of a tournament.Good luck,see you at the weigh-in.I'm looking forward to seeing you holding that first place check.
              TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

It seems to me the best days I have is when the BP is falling somewhere around 28.57 to 29.83 range. Much like the rising and falling tides seem better at around the +1.75 to 1.83 levels and the -.505 to 1.625 levels. Now of course, when you factor in the moon phases, this all can change a few degrees . Some might say speed and wind direction can come into play but I like the wind blowing on a real hot day, and not blowing so hard on a real cold day. Also, I've noticed that on a real windy day, the beer seems to get warmer, unless you have it in a coozie.

Also, there have many days when the weather report will call a tide at +1.86when in fact, I'd call it around 1.88. Much like the BP reports, I can just "feel" that it's not quite what they say it is or was in the news paper.
                I make it anoint to check all these variables prior to launching the Bote. If just one of them is a little higher or lower than what I think they should be, I say F*** it, and head to the bars.

And trust me, ask anybody, I know how to catch damm fish

Comment

I hear ya JT. I really need to start my log book up for just these reasons. That's what I mean when I say, listen to the guys that know. I thank you for your input and direction I will definitely take it down and remember it.

Comment

OK Flapper... Im in... Maybe you can help me with one question though. I saw on the flyer for the tourney that its a three man team. well my third man has moved away from the area and cant enter. can I have a 2 man team and still weigh in the three fish? Or do I have to have three guys? I've never won a tourney but made top three on one, I sure would like to know what that win feels like.

Comment

By the way I keep trying to post some pics but its wanting me to convert them into a HTML format. I keep getting a error screen.
                      Use tapatalk on your phone alot easier on photos and btw thanks for the reports.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

just downloaded tap a talk. let me figure it out but looks easier.

Comment

OK Flapper... Im in... Maybe you can help me with one question though. I saw on the flyer for the tourney that its a three man team. well my third man has moved away from the area and cant enter. can I have a 2 man team and still weigh in the three fish? Or do I have to have three guys? I've never won a tourney but made top three on one, I sure would like to know what that win feels like.
                          .......The rules state: 3. A maximum of three (3) anglers per team. No exceptions. Single Entries allowed

Comment

1 or 2 men is fine. Same number of fish.
                            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Hey thanks guys I read it wrong. So me and my usual partner should be fine. Now all I got to do is back up my BS. That's the hard part. HA HA

Comment

Working...
                              X