Flounder Sea Wolf 11-15-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Sea Wolf 11-15-14

Today we had an outgoing tide. Not my favorite, but fish were still there.Not in the big numbers as an incoming.

18-20 mph winds didn't let me fish my usual area. I got lucky today by picking just the right spot.
    5 casts and 2 fish. A 17" followed by a 22".
    I stayed a while longer looking for an upgrade on the 17, but didn't get another bite.
    Stepped on a couple and my hands were getting cold, so I called it a day.
    I was using my tandem rig of pink and chartreuse Gulps. Both fish hit the chartreuse.
    I'm still seeing most of the fish being caught in the 17" range or smaller. But also seeing more fish
    over 20".
    Water temp was around 50 degrees.

I am curious about one thing I saw today. There was a shrimp boat with it's nets out on the west side
    of the Pelican Island bridge....Just outside of the telephone poles. He was probably catching hundreds of flounder.
    I thought they shut down the shrimp boats from running the areas were flounder were stacked up
    during the flounder run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flounder 17' 22' SeaWolf 11-15-14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	575735

Nice flatties. You been on em.
    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Excellent report , Dale , with efficient results ! Great detailed information . Yeah , I want to know about the shrimp boat , too . Nice 22 inch fish . I wanted to go to Sabine for flounder but was too worn out to go.
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Not sure about the shrimper, I hinkthe bay season is closed now. I'll check the regs...Nice catch and report, must b stacking up!

Comment

Bay shrimp season ends on nov 30. I'm sure he was on the flounder. Commercial fishermen (rod) can only catch 2 in Nov. Commercial bay shrimper, while shrimping, can use the excuse of a by catch. I do know that they cannot drag through certain areas for specs in freezes, don't know about the flattys. Have to read the commercial regs for this. Maybe Mike can help out here...

Comment

They trawl all over the GSC during the run, see it in front of the GYB too. No, doesn't seem right that they can run their nets and catch probably hundreds indescriminately with many dying I'm sure, while we can only keep 2.

Oh, nice fish. I was there for an hour after work. I was the only DA in short sleeves and leaky waders. 1 right at the limit released, and 1 16"er kept before I got too cold.

Comment

There are regs in place per the TPDW commercial regs. On a commercial shrimp boat, you have the same restrictions as a recreational angler. 2 for each person with a commercial license. It's in the commercial regs. Enforcing it is another matter....why go to all that expense without a return? I may call the game warden about this on Monday, be interested to see what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHU View Post
                There are regs in place per the TPDW commercial regs. On a commercial shrimp boat, you have the same restrictions as a recreational angler. 2 for each person with a commercial license. It's in the commercial regs. Enforcing it is another matter....why go to all that expense without a return? I may call the game warden about this on Monday, be interested to see what he says.
                Nice. I would like to hear what they have to say.

Comment

Great catch. I was working, glad I was. It was cold and windy. You did great out there. Lord Bless.
                  robert
                  And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Great catch. Are you wading near sea wolf park? i have always wanted to wade over there just didnt know where to start.

Comment

Yes I am wading. There are lots of waders this time of year with the flounder run going on.
                      On the picture...Yellow is where you can wade. Pick your spot depending on the wind direction and speed.
                      Red shows where you can park for free along the road. Or you can park inside SeaWolf, but it isn't cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SEA WOLF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	561149

Comment

Excellent informative image , Dale !
                        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                          Yes I am wading. There are lots of waders this time of year with the flounder run going on.
                          On the picture...Yellow is where you can wade. Pick your spot depending on the wind direction and speed.
                          Red shows where you can park for free along the road. Or you can park inside SeaWolf, but it isn't cheap.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29720[/ATTACH]
                          Thanks for the map. I've never fished SWP before.
                          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I will be there tomorrow
                            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                              I will be there tomorrow

save me a spot

Comment

Working...
                              X