Moody peninsula produces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moody peninsula produces

Right before dawn Wednesday I landed this 26.5 Redfish after a tremendous fight. It's the first Red I've caught wading off the Moody peninsula by the Colonel paddle boat. (Well, I actually caught my first Galveston Red right here decades ago in a float tube with swim fins.) Also landed a 20-inch gafftop catfish on my first cast in the dark. And I mean landed, realizing too late that I'd left my net on the shore. Before Wednesday I hadn't caught anything but bait-steelers there this winter/spring. It's within sight of my apartment and easy to get to. Just drive past Moody to the big additional parking lot, go to the far end near the Colonel and walk across the grass. Nobody has objected so far.
    Attached Files

Congrats!!! That was a long time (and diligent) pursuit.
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

That's a beauty!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Over the years, there have been several tagged reds caught right there. I think I remember a grandpaw one year & his grandson the next...

Comment

Congratulations on the nice red !
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice Catch!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Thanks, everyone. This is only my third keeper Red in the 17 months I've been on Galveston. I caught quite a few years ago at Corpus Christi, but this was the hardest fighter. Or maybe the truth is that I tire easier at my age. Anyway, it sure was nice to hear my reel sing again and again and think about the possibility of getting spooled on its long runs. The best upshot was that my tackle held up well. I make my own 2-hook bottom rigs out of 20-pound mono tied to equal braid. I simply double-tie 3-inch loops in the mono and thread on the hooks. I've wondered how that would stand up to such a fish, and now I know.

Comment

Very nice. WTG. Lord Bless.
                robert
                And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Nice red.
                  Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Mind telling what bait or lure you were using?

Comment

Pretty fish!

Comment

Working...
                      X