Standing High Tide = Tough Bite.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing High Tide = Tough Bite.

The tides just haven't been working for me lately, especially standing high early in the morning. I also think the fish are transitioning into fall/winter pattern. Topwaters have been not as effective as softdineXL's, and jigs. I waded a reef early and had one 20" fish on an XL. Plenty of bait just no predators.
    I moved to a shoreline with a good drop-off and first cast hooked a BF stingray right by the boat. I got back in the boat and tried to get it off bottom which ended in a break off and lost lure. Hopped back in on the other side of the boat and put on a rootbeer/chrt flappin/ shad. A few casts later I had a solid hit, and was bowed up. I was pretty sure it was a big redfish as it tracked across in a steady arc. Got it in closer and saw the big tail....big trout 6 1/2#
    ! Since I was still pretty close to the boat I took it back to the boat for a photo and release. Ended up with four more trout and several small reds.
    Attached Files
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Very nice! Thanks for the report.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

WTG Kenny! I fished some marshes this morning in about 18" of water and trapped trout (around 16") up against the grass flooded by the high tide. They were literally IN THE GRASS chasing shrimp. I've seen red fish do that plenty of times, but never trout. I sat about 25' off the shoreline (birds were working it HARD!) and caught 20 before the bite gave out. Ended up with 32 trout from 7:00 to 10:30-only 20 or so would have been keepers. No fish over 16", but it was fun. All fish released.
      Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
      "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Thanks for the report and nice fish , Kenny .
        You are wacking them , John .
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Termo, I've been on redfish like that many times, but never trout. We just don't seem to get much bird action anymore in West Bay, or at least nothing like Galveston, Trinity or East. How many seagulls did you catch?
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
            Termo, I've been on redfish like that many times, but never trout. We just don't seem to get much bird action anymore in West Bay, or at least nothing like Galveston, Trinity or East. How many seagulls did you catch?
            HA! So you've been there too. Caught one tangled in a cast. It pecked the s**t out of me before I could get it untangled.
            Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
            "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Great report. Still think west bay gonna be good this fall and winter.
              Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

I never catch seagulls. Gotta learn to cast sidearm. It's hard for a lot of folks. But then..........

Comment

I was wading jumble cove marsh between there and bird island cove back in 80's catching a few on the flood tide, and Raul Esteban and Pete Tanner pulled in with Cookie and Lloyd Pepper and proceeded to whack trout against the windward shoreline out of the grass like a mutha. I couldn't and didn't want to wade the bog so I just found me a hard spot and watched the show.

Comment

Heck of a nice trout, Kenny!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Beautiful trout Kenny!!

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
                        HA! So you've been there too. Caught one tangled in a cast. It pecked the s**t out of me before I could get it untangled.
                        I used to give 'em a love tap with a canoe paddle, but now I just reel 'em in close and hold 'em under water for a while. They calm right down......or you can just grab 'em by the neck and get things untangled. I've caught almost every shorebird that flies, and hands down Frigates are the most unruly and dangerous.
                        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                        X