12.26.10 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12.26.10 Report

Not much was flying around our lease yesterday, the ponds were frozen over in the shallow areas. Spent the early morning waiting on my buddies who were obviously detained from a night of drinking the night before. I had most of the decoys out near the blind once they finally pulled up on the ATV. I had walked in and had been setting up some snow shells for some passing shots and hauling gear for the last hour.

So, as soon as they get there they tell me the decoys are in the wrong spot I calmly said well guys the last time we hunted here the birds flared off that blind, why don't we setup on the levee bank or in the trees just ahead of us. I got overruled. By this point I am steaming, I had been out there for an hour and half had busted my arse walking the goose decoys in, setting them up, setting up the 3-4 dozen decoys in an area that I knew the ducks were drawn to. Now, they want to hunt from a cozy blind?

It wasn't until we had two groups of birds locked in on us but flared because of the ice. I laughed and said are y'all ready to move? We did and we quickly shot 3 birds. If we had been where I wanted to be from shooting time we would have had at least 8-10 birds.

It was a slow morning and the geese did not start flying until late, not even a passing shot for them. The guys did let me take home the 3 ducks for setting everythng up that morning.

1 teal, 2 spoonies.

Man those spoonies are dumb ducks lol, I walked out of the cover with Sadie because the duck had landed against the levee about 100 yards from us. As I am walking to it and my dog slightly in front of me he gets up and starts a slow banking turn towards me and straight to the area we are hunting, I squat down and say man these spoonies are dumb, I stand shoot & it drops.

Sadie did well for this being her first frozen field hunt, I normally take her to the bay when it gets this cold and spoil her with a blind heater. Yesterday she was breaking ice with us and I was happy to see her excited about the 3 birds she fetched up.

Here are some photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	568285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	568284Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	568283
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

that's still a good hunt. I shot doves at my lease. I had 1 flock of gees come in but didn't get close shot I dove hunted.

Comment

Nice report coe wheres the lease at?
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

wasn't any better on the coast.

Comment

Working...
        X