Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Report

Report from the Brister Creek Ranch (Wellington, TX):

Well, the first hunt, Friday afternoon, I could have shot a spike whitetail. Unfortunately the deer came right in & out before we could communicate with everyone. The deer have become scarce in the area and are only coming out well after dark. They have harvested 55 whitetail this year. One guy on Friday afternoon got 2 does but for the rest of the hunts all I saw were mule deer. The terrain had you shooting from an elevated stand 360 degrees. The deer just appear from the creek bed & are suddenly 50 yards away at times. We saw a few nice bachelor groups out 300-400 yards. Out of which they are trying to thin out the spikes. I wish I could have come back with a deer but that's why you call it hunting.

We staked out 4 new breeding pens while I was there. They are trying to kill every whitetail, doe especially, to better control the genetics on their ranch. They have 3 breeder bucks that are split up in 3 different pens with 20 does in each. In a few years they should have some strong genetics running around on their ranch.

It was a fun trip, stopped by the BIL & sister's place in Dallas on the way back down for a beer & the start of the Giants game. Not too fond of the 8.5 hour drive, 10 hours if you count the stop in Dallas I had to make.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

should have spot lighted them. lol

Comment

i got ya covered for meat ! Deer meat that is !
      Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

Maybe next time.
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Coe a friend once told me "there is a fine line between hunting and standing in a field with a gun in your hand"
          sounds like it was fun ! i bet you are already looking foward to going back
          Captain Glenn Stevens
          Coastal Guide Service
          www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Comment

Nice scenery. Too bad about the skunk, but that's how it is sometimes.

Comment

Great pictures..., you'll get them next time.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Comment

There was no skunk for the group at least. We did shoot two doe. The scenery is beautiful out there & the Polaris Rzr makes traveling around the ranch a blast. 100% high fenced we have knocked down the white tail population on their property still of course more out there unaccounted for from the aerial surveys they fly. Soon, they will be allowing the 20 doe per pen to run off & have their babies. Within 3-5 years this place will be amazing. This is only their first year introducing new genetics & being 100% high fenced.

On a positive note I got my first experience with heavy machinery this weekend. I worked a small skid loader to move tumbleweeds that had collected on the North fence line.

The controls were easy to master, I can only thank Microsoft & Sony for giving me as a kid the XBOX & PS2 then the XBOX360 & PS3. Practice makes perfect & so when it was my turn to jump into that loader I drove it like a pro! I had never even operated any type of hydraulic equipment like that, not even a tractor! It was a good Friday.

Friday night rolled around and Mr. Brister, Matt's Dad, rolled into the ranch. 2 bottles of Chivas & a handle of Makers was pulled out of the cabinet and we hit it hard! Nothing like hanging out with good friends around a campfire joking about stories from years ago.

My head is still pounding and still recovering from the weekend. It was a great time!

Comment

Coe did you just call a skid steer loader heavy machinery?? Glad you had fun, nothing like getting out of town for a few days. rs

Comment

Someone got a video of Coe working the loader:

At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty S View Post
                        Coe did you just call a skid steer loader heavy machinery?? Glad you had fun, nothing like getting out of town for a few days. rs
                        It was heavy when it ran over my steel toe! What would you call it?

They wouldn't let me play on the big excavator.

Comment

You can drive my tractor at the BBQ cookoff and pick up trash bags, Tiny can learn ya'. rs

Comment

Working...
                          X