How to build a blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a blind

This is my second year of duck hunting and we will be hunting a lease with alot of marshland down by Victoria this year. It is mostly saltmarsh type with large expanses of marsh grass, thick mud, and no real cover. What type of blind and how do you build one that is comfortable to hunt out of but yet low enough to the ground to not stick out like a sore thumb? How do you anchor it into the thick mud? Ive seen some type in west bay that are some sort of bench type blind with chickenwire around it and brushed with palm fronds. Is this type of blind effective?

Any info appreciated

Russ

I'm keeping it simple as it is just me. I bought camo netting that I will have around me and a bit over me on one brush piece. Stuff it in a backpack and go...maybe 10' long by 3' high. Small chair to sit on or sit on the ground/in the water.
    sigpic

Comment

How to build a blind

Honestly, blinds Are only good for Bout four weeks maybe in my opinion. The birds get used to seeing it And seeing decoy spreads in front of it every hunt..... If you can,hunt the natural cover. But if you do have to build one any kind of wire will work. Anything that will hold the cover.... Don't forget to do the test. Finish building it, get your buddy to sit in it and walk fifty yards away and make him move around, if you can see him, the birds can see you. Don't forget to cover the top so the birds can't see your face.
      Karma's a beach.

Comment

[QUOTE=Xpress89;274212]Honestly, blinds Are only good for Bout four weeks maybe in my opinion. The birds get used to seeing it And seeing decoy spreads in front of it every hunt.....QUOTE] Aren't those birds dead already ?

Comment

Anyone got any tips on the types of blinds to build or how to anchor them into the mud?

Thanks
          Russ

Comment

use layout blinds. you can move around in the marsh to where the birds are. only way I would put a blind up is if I owned the land and then it would be a pit blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
              use layout blinds. you can move around in the marsh to where the birds are. only way I would put a blind up is if I owned the land and then it would be a pit blind.
              Kind of what I am doing but my "blind" consists of camo netting...figure if I can find ANY brush I can blend
              sigpic

Comment

I really like the idea of a layout blind and its portability but how comfortable and waterproof are they and what brands do you reccomend? Most likely our feet will be wet and muddy when we enter the blind, will that cause us to be laying in a mudpit by the end of the day?

Russ

Comment

How to build a blind

Duck hunting is all a muddy mud pit no matter what you do......
                  Karma's a beach.

Comment

I get muddy and wet and cold enough wade fishing . And I like it more . Have fun .
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ757 View Post
                      I really like the idea of a layout blind and its portability but how comfortable and waterproof are they and what brands do you reccomend? Most likely our feet will be wet and muddy when we enter the blind, will that cause us to be laying in a mudpit by the end of the day?

Russ

your duck hunting the coastal marsh, that's what happens. you could put down a mat and wipe your feet before entering your layout.

Rogers Sporting Goods, founded in 1980, is a family-owned store that offers the best in waterfowl, hunting, shooting and outdoor gear. Browse the vast selection of everything you need to enjoy the great outdoors.

I like the avery.

Comment

Ok, have any of yall used the Rogers Goosebuster? Seems to be a good blind and under $200

Russ

Comment

Working...
                        X