Need Some Advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice...

I do not have a lot of building experience. Started a tower blind for deer season and she is about 20' up there. Now that I have the floor and sides up I have started thinking about the roof. BUT this thing is so high that I cannot find anything high enough to get me on the roof of the darn thing to build it. My thought now was to simply frame the roof, attach the tin, and then try and wench it up there and use brackets to fasten. Any ideas on how I do this better???

Here is a pic of the posts (trees) I used for the stand itself. They are a good six feet down...they arent going to move in an earthquake. I dont have a pic with the flooring and framing but you can see my problem I think. I will not be climbing on top...to fall from there wont just hurt...I'll die!

SO now what?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Any equipment rental places close by ? Or maybe set two more trees, even higher on either side. Fix some block and tackle on them before you set them, rais the roof, then remove the two poles. That's all I can think of.

Comment

Go ahead and get your floor laid. Depending on how much head room you need, ( the wall height ) get your wrap for the roof done and frame up your roof. I'd do a 3 on 12 gable. Send up your tin on the tractor forks and store it on the floor. Like the rustic look! Looks sweet.

Comment

Now What ? Purchase 4 good grade 2x12's #1 or scaffold grade with no knots that are at least 48"to 72" longer than the side widths.Use some hot dipped galvanized 41/2" to 5" 1/2" lag screw bolts to secure the 2x12s at floor level (minimum of 2 per end) or even better would be to secure them above the intended floor framing and frame the roof 1st before the sides and flooring. Doing this will also square and plumb up where the walls will be for easier framing once the roof is installed. Once you have the 2x12s secured than use 2x12's for temporary decking on the secured 2x12's and tac them with nails. If you are extremely skidish also secure a handrail or two to give a better working place. Use the 2x12's for a good sound proof floor in the stand when done. I've done this on several stands and it works fine unless you put 3 or 4 300lb men up there and they like to dance. Be sure and drill out and use good washers on the lag screws and keep them low on the bottom side of the 2x12s to have plenty of holding wood above them. A good harness with a lanyard is also recommended. Take some pictures when construction starts and finishes and the progress. Be great to see and everyone will learn something to help us all on the next one.
        "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

bad planning right there. go topless

Comment

put your roof frame up and run tie straps through the tin roofing or what your using and strap it to the frame. do half the frame first and lay what tin you will need for the second half on top of the tin already strapped down. Then you can slide tin over after you finish the framing.

Comment

Cut it down and have a BBQ or bonfire and go buy a blind, ya cheapskate!!!! If ya really needed to be over 20' up a tree, change your hunting to just squirrels, not deer!

Them cheap plastic Texas Hunter blinds are lightweight and with that fork-lift/front end loader, you'd already be done on a 10'+ base!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

You could just buy 4 climber/Climbing blinds and 4 could hunt outta that mess you made!

Hope my posts help ya Brad!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Built the roof to completion with the rafters just inside your wall frame. Then pull it up over top and screw it to your side walls

Comment

What post #4 said.that's cheaper than renting scaffolding or pump jacks. I don't recommend pump jacks for beginners either.

sent from my taxpayer-funded sail phone and yes the government is tapped into my talk
                    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Or take it all down and build on ground and use the tractor to raise it.

sent from my taxpayer-funded sail phone and yes the government is tapped into my talk
                      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                      X