Goose decoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goose decoys

I'm having a lot of geese flying through the area I'm hunting. What is the most effective way to decoy geese?
    Son of the Republic

White rags or cloth diapers laid over weeds stubble or clods. Start out with at least 250 of them. the more the better.
    Works best on cloudy days and in plowed ground or rice stubble.
    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

What is the most effective way to decoy geese?
      Drive up to Arkansas. Kidding... Somewhat.

If you were out hunting yesterday you couldn't have missed the big flocks of snows. Heck, I would hear them sitting in my living room here in Bayou Vista, and go out on the back porch to watch massive flocks fly overhead.

Don't know where you were hunting, but these geese are on the move. Not gonna drop them with any kind of spread I believe. All the ones I saw were ~200-300yds up in the air. A goose within decoying range almost looks huge.

Normally a few times a year I run into them flying so low that I get lucky and pass-shoot a few while duck hunting. Needs overcast weather and high winds, so I have no idea why they were so high yesterday.

Now maybe you were hunting in riceland or plowed fields and these geese were just off the roost or coming down nearby. Now you have a decent shot at pulling them down some. I prefer silosocks to the rag spread, and normally you are talking about at least 800 decoys to get them interested. Plus you gotta hide much better than when hunting ducks.

Goose hunting is a lot of work and pretty hit-or-miss since TX numbers are dropping. When it works out it is some of the most exciting hunting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
        Drive up to Arkansas. Kidding... Somewhat.

If you were out hunting yesterday you couldn't have missed the big flocks of snows. Heck, I would hear them sitting in my living room here in Bayou Vista, and go out on the back porch to watch massive flocks fly overhead.

Don't know where you were hunting, but these geese are on the move. Not gonna drop them with any kind of spread I believe. All the ones I saw were ~200-300yds up in the air. A goose within decoying range almost looks huge.

Normally a few times a year I run into them flying so low that I get lucky and pass-shoot a few while duck hunting. Needs overcast weather and high winds, so I have no idea why they were so high yesterday.

Now maybe you were hunting in riceland or plowed fields and these geese were just off the roost or coming down nearby. Now you have a decent shot at pulling them down some. I prefer silosocks to the rag spread, and normally you are talking about at least 800 decoys to get them interested. Plus you gotta hide much better than when hunting ducks.

Goose hunting is a lot of work and pretty hit-or-miss since TX numbers are dropping. When it works out it is some of the most exciting hunting though.

you read too much 2cool

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
          you read too much 2cool
          Lmao. Just pass shoot with buck shot

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

I am hunting marsh and they have been flying fairly low. I'd just like to get them a little lower so I don't pepper them and actually lay them down when I hit them.
            Son of the Republic

Comment

you read too much 2cool
              Probably true but I am speaking from experience more than anything I read. Where's all your goose reports Gibby? Can't hunt 'em trolling the message boards all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                Probably true but I am speaking from experience more than anything I read. Where's all your goose reports Gibby? Can't hunt 'em trolling the message boards all the time
                He actually does hunt lol he just dont post about it

Loma
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                  He actually does hunt lol he just dont post about it

Loma

if he only knew........

Comment

Well Gibby, as much as I hate to say it you were right about this one. Hunting the bay this morning watching a group of scaup about to touch down and I hear a honk. Looked up and a flock of ~4 dozen snows was 15yds off the water right at the edge of my dekes. Dropped a nice eagle-headed blue phase out of the flock before they made it away.

All those mornings of waking up at 2am to drive down 59, carrying bundles and bundles of silo socks out, digging and brushing in pit blinds. All that work for nothing. All I needed was 5 dozen duck decoys out on the public bay.

Comment

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        Choot em
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                          Choot em
                          1/2 aren't flying in that photo.
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                          X