Youth rifle recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth rifle recommendations

I signed the 13 yr old up for the tpwd youth hunts and I need to teach him how to shoot. I have a mossberg 30.06 but I think that's too much for him. He's all of a 100lbs wet. Do I invest in a youth rifle or a full size smaller caliper? What are your thoughts?

Remington Model Seven in .243.

Comment

Yes, full size rifle in .243 caliber. Your son sounds about the same size mine is and he has been on the 243 for the past two years. Go to gander mountain and have try different brands to see what fits him best.

Comment

What about a 22-250 ?
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I agree on the .243 I also have a .223 that I think is just a little too small for deer
          sigpic

Comment

I researched a lot of different cal. for kids and the 243 was about the best. 80grain gmx bullet form hornady have worked best for us.
            browning makes the micro 243 in the A bolt and the X bolt. you can find them second hand with little use fairly reasonable.

Comment

.243 is a darn good round. Next would be a .270 IMO. 22-250 is a hot round but small bore for a decent sized deer-but placement is everything almost no matter what size bore.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

ol reliable marlin 30-30 lever action.
                "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

i STILL hunt with a winchester .243 that I've had since the 6th grade. Its a great all around rifle for anything around here I hunt or (used to hunt since I don't have anything against the deer anymore)

Comment

7mm o8

Comment

The Remington Model Seven is a sweet little gun. The .243 for light recoil on deer and if you are going for hogs also, the .308 with a little more recoil.

Comment

My son uses my model 700 remington in 22. 250 with a bull barrel it shoots lime a pellet gun recoil wise very accurate and plenty knock down for hill country. I did buy him a .308 today he is getting older and moving up
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I got it narrowed down to the Remington 770 or Mossberg Patriot Youth. Both come in a .243 and are at the right price point. I figure if he outgrows it, I can hand it down to the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Atexan View Post
                            Thanks for all the input. I got it narrowed down to the Remington 770 or Mossberg Patriot Youth. Both come in a .243 and are at the right price point. I figure if he outgrows it, I can hand it down to the wife.
                            The youth model are going to be a waste of money at his age. Youth models also kick more than full size cause of the lighter weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                              The youth model are going to be a waste of money at his age. Youth models also kick more than full size cause of the lighter weight.
                              X2 I bought my boy a rossi 223 youth it kicked like a mule! And I would suggest the savage axis model over the 770 if it were me.
                              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                              X