Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun??

Hey guys,

Need a little help here. Don't really hunt that much, but would like too. But I don't really know anything about shotguns. What shotguns do you recommend? For someone that is just wanting to get started. Want to hunt for some dove and maybe some ducks or do you need two different kind of shotguns to do both?

870 Express ....12ga.

It will cost less than $300 new (there are some current rebates right now), and the gun should last you your life time .....

American Made, and it will hold it's value ......
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

x2-You can find a used one also and save mo $. They are cheap but fair quality guns-I would get that over a Mossberg anyday.

If can chamber 3" or 3.5" shells, you have the all around gun-dove, ducks, geese, quail and crackhead thieves! Check new prices and check used-make dang sure you inspect the heck outta a used gun before buying-look for rust, pits and smoothness-if it's beat up, pass on it and keep looking.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post
        870 Express ....12ga.

It will cost less than $300 new (there are some current rebates right now), and the gun should last you your life time .....

American Made, and it will hold it's value ......

I recently read where Remington will forward your rebate directly to CCA if you choose.

Comment

2x on the 870 hard to beat for the money

Comment

Benelli Nova is my go to gun. I clean it once a season 0 rust its a beast! 10+ years of hunting & abuse its been sunk in saltwater, buried in mud & she still shoots straight as an arrow!
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Each person likes something different.

Go to as many gun shops/retailers/shows as you can.
              Examine/handle as many different models/makes/types as possible.
              Throw the gun to your shoulder like you would when taking a shot.
              Does the bead sight line up on your target or does the stock cause you to re-adjust to get proper sight alignment?
              See if the stock length fits you. Many guns come with long stocks on them and can be cut down to fit you. Any competent gunsmith can do this.
              Stock fit is very important on a shotgun. Proper fit will dramatically improve your hits.

FWIW: A 12gauge pump will do everything you need.
              A good old Remington 870 is a great gun.
              Many aftermarket accessories for it as well as parts availability.
              West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Adding to Moonpie's post... My new Benelli that I got at the end of last season came with adjustments to the stock so I can add wedges or spacers whatever they are to move the butt of the gun in order to get the barrel perfectly lined up with my cheek, eye etc.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

x5 - the 870 is our back-up to Jack (the pit bull).

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                  Each person likes something different.

FWIW: A 12gauge pump will do everything you need.
                  A good old Remington 870 is a great gun.
                  Many aftermarket accessories for it as well as parts availability.
                  At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to go to different places to check them out and see what feel right to me.

Comment

You will find that the bigger retailers will have the cheaper prices on the Remington 870 ...
                      Academy, Gander Mt. , Bass Pro ......
                      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Thanks Muddskipper.

Comment

One more question.Does it really matter if is a pump action or a semi-automatic?? What do you guys prefer?

Comment

Pumps will rarely ever jam.
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Most would probably prefer a semi-automatice action. Then again, most would probably prefer the pump action price.

For what its worth, I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. I've had the gun for 5 years and shot almost 10,000 rounds through it by now with no issues. I dont abuse it, but its my utility weapon and I treat it as such. Dropped in the mud many, many times, used as a boat paddle on occasion, been swimming with it on my back, etc. Great weapon, extremely reliable, versatile, light weight and easy to operate. I highly recommend them to anyone in the market for one. It's a high price tag which most people arent willing to pay, but like Benelli's ad says, "Performance worth the price". And they hold their value extremely well.

But for your situation you have described, get you a Remington 870. I love all 3 of mine.

M.M.
                              "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Working...
                              X