Decoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoys

Ok I don't have any duck decoys and I am starting out. Does it really matter what species of decoy I buy or do I need to specialize in one species only?

I'm guessing your planning on hunting the galveston or gulf coast? Or will you be hunting more north?

Comment

I will be hunting in Eagle Lake the majority of the time. I will be hunting some in Galveston.

Comment

The best advice I ever got was to buy a puddler pack from green head gear, it has pintail, wigeon, and gadwall. They also have a different pack that has teal. Right now those packs, teal, redheads, and some mallards. Some don't think mallards are really needed on the coast though. Most ducks you seen on the coast are divers or black ducks, so maybe some of those might help.

Comment

I'd focus on teal, gadwall, pintails, and maybe some widgeon, in that order when on the coast. I have shot plenty of ducks on the gulf coast over a dozen mallards, but I prefer to be as realistic as I can. But if all you can afford is mallards and teal, you'll be fine. If you are close to the bay and bigger waters, some diver decoys wouldnt hurt anything (Bluebill, Redheads and Ring Necks).
          When you are up around Eagle Lake, Mallards, Pintail, Gadwall and teal again. Just my $.02. It's mostly about staying hidden and being in the right spot. The birds will take care of the rest. Good luck!

M.M.
          "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Working...
          X