West Bay Duck Hunting newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay Duck Hunting newbie.

So I have fished west bay all my life, and am just now getting into duck hunting. I was wondering if there are any places you can get to to hunt without a boat on the island. anyone know anywhere? My other question is what is the etiquette on using a pre-existing blind? I don't want to take mooch of anyone's hard work but just curious if those are free for anyone or not.

All blinds on the bay are on public water. First come First serve! With that being said be prepared for some conflict at 5AM when you pull up start setting up and the people that built it come out and want to hunt from it. Legally your allowed to hunt there since you got there first. Keep GW # handy and camera because Hunter Harrasement is not made up and they can receive a ticket for that should they mess with you. Your allowed to hunt from your boat with it anchored and motor trimmed up out of the water. A lot of people hunt the coves, marshes just get out there and scout. No ducks in Galveston BTW
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

No ducks in Galveston BTW
      Agreed, gotta go up to Port Arthur / Sabine for that. Or run all the way to Rockport area.

Comment

I agree with them above, you might want to run even further than Rockport though. Think about going to Port Mansfield.

Comment

We have had bad hunts & okay hunts this year in Bay City at 3rd Coast Outfitters, less than impressed with how my group is going about it will not be on there again at least with them because nobody can communicate, nothing but divers, spoonies and mergansers right now on the bay a few pintails in the marsh but tough to get to unless your running an ultra skinny boat It's been tough this year all around in this area from what I am hearing

Comment

Thanks for the information. Maybe it will get better after Christmas. My in-laws are staying in Galveston for new years and I told them I would try and get them on some ducks.

Comment

Just go out early and listen for Coe's gator tail(sounds like a dump truck) and follow him to the spot. Anchor your boat upwind of him and wait for the action. Better yet hide in the marsh by him and just take his ducks, lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FishOn View Post
                Thanks for the information. Maybe it will get better after Christmas. My in-laws are staying in Galveston for new years and I told them I would try and get them on some ducks.
                West Bay gets "okay" late into the season... Most of the ducks hang out in Halls Bayou Ranch area which is a private area and if you step onto the grass or the bay floor for that matter they say they will call GW. I have had them confront me on several occassions always very unpleasant because your trying to hunt. There is a fine line when hunting on public water surrounded by private property...

Comment

Originally posted by FP10 View Post
                  Just go out early and listen for Coe's gator tail(sounds like a dump truck) and follow him to the spot. Anchor your boat upwind of him and wait for the action. Better yet hide in the marsh by him and just take his ducks, lol!!!
                  Any movement early in the morning gets two rounds out of my .40 right in that general direction DO NOT come near me

Comment

lol Coe you are sensitive!!

Comment

All blinds on the cove are on open water. In the first place come First serve! With that being said be ready for some clash at 5am when you pull up begin setting up and the individuals that manufactured it turn out and need to chase from it. Legitimately your permitted to chase there since you got there first. Keep GW # helpful and Polaroid on the grounds that Seeker Harrasement is not made up and they can appropriate a ticket for that if they upset you. Your permitted to chase from your watercraft with it secured and engine trimmed up out of the water. A mess of individuals chase the inlets, bogs only get out there and scout. No ducks in Galveston BTW

Comment

IMO, we need more hunters on west bay to move the ducks around. I almost hate hunting during the week because there is not enough boat traffic to get the ducks off the water!

Oh and blinds are for panzies!!!

Comment

Just realized this thread was from 2010 lol , I was wondering why we were getting duck hunting reports
                          I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
                            Just realized this thread was from 2010 lol , I was wondering why we were getting duck hunting reports

you mean you haven't been duck hunting yet? I'm headed out friday morning. Got a bunch of left over teal tags still to use before I buy more in september.

Comment

I used the rest of mine last weekend. I will get with you to order my new ones!
                              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...
                              X