No announcement yet.

WOTM #1 ~ Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rented a movie from netflix called SOMM you might enjoy . It's a documentary about these five guys who are preparing to take the MASTER SOMMELIER exam . The what ? I didn't know who a sommelier was . They are experts in wines , whiskeys , cigars and pairing them with food . It's a big deal and I was blown away by all of what they had to learn . They blind taste a wine and must tell about the smell and flavors , what kind of wine ( like Pinot Grigio , chardonnay ) , what country , what region , what district , what winery , what year . There are three parts to the exam , a tasting , written exam , and a practical where they have a mock dining room with difficult patrons trying to rattle them . They live and breath for years to study for and pass the exam . Rarely does one pass one the first or second try . In the last 50 years only 200 people have become MASTER SOMMELIERS . When these guys took the test , only 6 out of 500 passed . They get well paying jobs at top end restaurants , winery's and such . It was filmed over a period of 2 years ending with them taking the exam . Check it out . Released in 2013 .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sounds pretty cool....it is a rare thing. To have all the knowledge and palate to be one. And a real good paycheck I'm sure.

Comment

There is a new WOTM coming very soon. I did not get a chance to detail my criteria and goals for the write ups.
        The criteria is simple. The whisk(e)y has to be readily available at a decent liquor store and carry a price of $40.00 or less. It will not all be American whiskies. We’ll talk about Irish, Scotch and Canadian whiskies as well.

My number one goal is to learn/grow. I enjoy learning the history of the distilleries and building my memory bank of taste and smells in the process. I am sure that many of you will be invited over to help me with future WOTMs, so new friends will be made along the way.

My second goal is to improve my writing skills through sharing what I have recently learned. I feel that my writing skills are less than what they should be. I missed so much 12th grade English, I thought I was going to be held back from walking with my graduating class. So please tolerate any mistakes in spelling and grammer.

My third goal is to show people that there are more choices out there than Jack Daniels and Crown Royal. I want to encourage all of you that are willing to sip and nose your whiskies at least once before ice or cola are added. I have no desire to change the way you drink your whisk(e)y….after all you bought it. It is yours. I am just attempting to point out that all whiskies (good or bad) have individual complexities that could be being missed.

The WOTMs will be written with fun in mind. I do not condone under age drinking or drinking and driving. Those of you 21 years in age and older, feel free to jump on the board and participate while under the influence

Let's go!!!

buoy

Comment

Dont forget the twin peaks girl...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok , Tim , we get it . Scantily clad women trumps whiskey .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

No they have to be holding the whiskey

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Guy on a Buffalo ~ Hilarious! !

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                X