VICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VICE

I just watched an episode of the documentary news show called VICE on HBO about the disbursement chemicals used in the BP oil spill. It seems the people of Louisiana are still being affected by that spill in ways that are just now becoming evident. It is sad to watch, but I recommend you do so and form your own opinions. I know this.....for the last couple of years, the trout fishing here has been the worst I can remember. Last year at this time we were wading the surf fishing for trout when the sargassum came in to flood the shorelines and this year they are yet to be seen. I pray, they are just late to arrive with the seaweed and the gulf heals itself because obviously industry is more concerned about profits than the health of the people and the environment. Let the denying begin.........
    Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
    "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Great report Termo. Industries don't lie, they just streeeetch the truth quite a bit. The name of the game is make more profit at the expense of the consumer. It doesn't matter who dies or gets sick. Profit first, then people. Lord Bless.
    robert
    And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

What is the alternative? People can hate big corporations all that they want (it seems to be the trendy thing to do at the Starbucks) but seriously, are you ready to sit in a dark, hot house and walk to the island to fish? I would bet that a majority of us are employed by the energy sector in some way, are you ready to give up your jobs? Do you really want more ethanol? How about another 500B to form another solyndra type company who is a friend of someone in power? Where did the money from the fine that was collected from BPS go? I'm betting that it wasn't battery technology.

It is all a moot point anyway, while everyone is fighting and pointing fingers no one has noticed that we are almost out of water to drink and grow our crops (and ethanol). Sure we could build some desalination plants, build some more reservoirs, etc except the enviro's tie all of those projects in court battles. Yeah, company CEO's lie, but have you heard the politicians that are elected to handle this mess? Oh Lordy, we are doomed!

As far as the trout fishing, my days in the surf were limited by weather last year but my overall catches were pretty darn good.
      "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
      boom

Comment

My point was not to attack the oil business. My father was a pipefitter and my brother earned his living from energy production as well. My education was made possible because of this energy necessity. Oil is used in almost every product we consume, including plastics, medicine, building products.....and the list goes on and on. It is a absolute necessity even if we didn't use a drop of it to produce the energy we need it to function in our society. My point is that the EPA (established by the Republicans during the Nixon administration-an accomplishment the whole country should be proud of) should hold this vital industry to standards that allow it to profit without harming the very citizens it serves. Why not invest in technologies that can clean up these accidents in a more eco-friendly way? Why did BP not allow the workers to wear respirators while cleaning up the mess (they did not want to acknowledge that the chemicals were harmful to humans)? Why is a company, not even an American company, allowed to use these disbursement chemicals here when other, more environmentally friendly chemicals are used overseas? I am not going to make this political, because there is enough blame to go around, but it seems to me the only people that are going to make a difference are the people, like us fishermen and hunters, and until we demand that anyone who wishes to share our resources, should share our responsibility in protecting it and the others that use it.

Comment

My response was more directed at silverwolf's post. I agree that more should be done. I would be asking the head of the EPA the questions as to what methods and materials were used. If I remember correctly there was some equipment available that was state of the art but not able to be brought in and used due to a union agreement. Every time that there is an accident hopefully something is learned from it and it is handled better the next time. As far as keeping politics out of it, good luck. How many pipeline accidents involving moving crude can you recall? The political party in power right now seems to want to promote deepwater drilling and moving crude on rail and ships as opposed to the safer pipelines. Oh yeah, when I say rail I mean warren buffet's rails.
          boom

Comment

Originally posted by boom View Post
            My response was more directed at silverwolf's post. I agree that more should be done. I would be asking the head of the EPA the questions as to what methods and materials were used. If I remember correctly there was some equipment available that was state of the art but not able to be brought in and used due to a union agreement. Every time that there is an accident hopefully something is learned from it and it is handled better the next time. As far as keeping politics out of it, good luck. How many pipeline accidents involving moving crude can you recall? The political party in power right now seems to want to promote deepwater drilling and moving crude on rail and ships as opposed to the safer pipelines. Oh yeah, when I say rail I mean warren buffet's rails.

It's always fascinating that the people who insinuate politics into a conversation are the ones who say how difficult it is to disinclude it from said discussion.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
              It's always fascinating that the people who insinuate politics into a conversation are the ones who say how difficult it is to disinclude it from said discussion.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
              So again, you have no intelligent reply to the content and nothing to contribute.
              boom

Comment

Back on topic........the VICE segment is called "Crude Awakening & The Enemy of My Enemy"...the first part is about the effect of the spill on the folks in Louisiana (and I was wondering if anybody else thought the spill might be affecting our fishing this year, and hoping to get some opinions, pro or con) It may not be affecting us at all....maybe I'm just stinking up the water in my boat this year ) The second part of the segment is about how the people of Yemen are killing each other....SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!!!!!

Comment

Just saw Reel Pimp's post on the surf 5/15. Guess that shoots my theory all to hell!

Comment

I love HBO. Especially Bill Maher's show.

Comment

I had a patient in the industry at the time of the spill tell me BP was notorious for cutting safety cornors . I no nothing about that being true . I asked him about BP 's solvency when their stocks plunged . He said BP is worldwide and won't have a problem . I should have bought BP stock at that time .
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I would like to see a copy of the Safety Plan for the cleanup. It is the first thing you do when you have a spill. This is required to be updated when ANYTHING changes. With BP, you had the Feds on-board and had to approve the plan..., workers not allowed or required to wear the proper PPE is a bunch of crap. I worked as Global HS&E Manager for a major Oil Company for 38 Years. During that time, I never witness or allowed workers to not be informed of the risk and not providing ( and mandated) proper PPE. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make him drink.., those horses are like the ones that say they were not informed or provided the proper PPE.., usually, they did not want to wear it.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
                          Just saw Reel Pimp's post on the surf 5/15. Guess that shoots my theory all to hell!
                          Not completely, blue. It's the only trout catch i've read about and we're rapidly approaching June.

Comment

I never thought about the late trout movement this year to be anything but water temp related. We had a very cool spring so...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S-troop View Post
                              I would like to see a copy of the Safety Plan for the cleanup. It is the first thing you do when you have a spill. This is required to be updated when ANYTHING changes. With BP, you had the Feds on-board and had to approve the plan..., workers not allowed or required to wear the proper PPE is a bunch of crap. I worked as Global HS&E Manager for a major Oil Company for 38 Years. During that time, I never witness or allowed workers to not be informed of the risk and not providing ( and mandated) proper PPE. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make him drink.., those horses are like the ones that say they were not informed or provided the proper PPE.., usually, they did not want to wear it.

Sent from my iPhone
                              True
                              Karma's a beach.

Comment

Working...
                              X