Step by Step G-URUSHI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by Step G-URUSHI

To my knowledge Capt. G from BD, is the creator of this process. After all it bears his name!! I know Capt. G uses laquer paint more so than just pigmented finish. For this tutorial I used only pigmented finish.

1. I put down a thin coat of finish on the blank where i would be placing the abalone. Since the bottom side of the shell is abrasive, I do not want this in contact with the blank. After the finish dries, super glue >dime sized pieces to the finished surface. In the place of super glue, you can wait till the undercoat firs up and just place them directly into the finish, however, the pieces will float & move around; usually bunching on one side. Therefore, Super Glue!

Click image for larger version

Name:	G-URUSHI 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	573369
    2. Mix a batch of pigmented epoxy and apply; making sure to get it under all the pieces. Make sure all surfaces are coated & just let the excess drip off. If it aint drippin' you aint added enough!
    For this step I used Purple Pigment.

Name:	G-URUSHI 2.jpg
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	573370
    3. After the previous coat dries, mix another color & apply the same way. Letting the excess drip off.
    After the purple, I used metallic pearl (pictured) then a final coat of Metallic Turquoise (not pictured)

Name:	G-URUSHI 3.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	573371
    4. After the final coat, I like to let everything cure for 1 day extra before sanding. Starting with 80-100 grit, begin sanding. I use a piece of pegboard, cut to just under the width I need sanded, as a base for my sand paper. I will sand with this corse paper till all the sharp edges are rounded uniform. Next move to 150-200 grit and sand till you like the results. Typically I sand till there is little to no pigment over the abalone shell. Finish with 500 grit just to smooth everything out.
    At this point you will notice there are still high & low points, thats ok!
    After cleaning up all the dust (everywhere), take DNA and clean your creation good.

Name:	G-URUSHI 4.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	573372
    5. Apply clear finish to the low spots and let dry. Repeat this process till everything is just about level. Then take your 200 grit and sand everything uniform, finishing with 500 grit.

6. Clean up your dust again. Use DNA to clean the rod. Add a nice thin coat of clear finish. After this coat has dried, you can add trim bands or whatever. Then finish with a final coat or two.

Name:	G-URUSHI 5.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	573373
    This is a very long process but the end result is worth it! It also adds up to a few extra ounces of weight to to the rod. For this reason I usualy apply this only to heavier rods, (surf, boat, & bait soakers)

Thanks
    Shawn

Cool Shawn! Thanks for the demo.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

What a talented rod builder. I'm almost jealous.

Comment

Thanks! Its not tallent, I was just good at following directions!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PBD539 - Shoal Patrol View Post
          Thanks! Its not tallent, I was just good at following directions!!!
          Actually, that is a talent! LOL!
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

that's way cool and it does take talent to be able to follow directions and actually get what you were attempting.

Comment

Awesome bro and thanks for taking the time to set up the tutorial.

Comment

Cool Shawn!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X