Suggestions for first surf rod build Forecast SUR1023 8'6" 8 - 17lb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for first surf rod build Forecast SUR1023 8'6" 8 - 17lb

I searched, but could not find a recipe for this 2 piece blank. Seems a lot stouter than 8 - 17 and not sure if it should be a spinning or baitcasting. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
    "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Try calling FTU and ask for Alex. He builds some very nice surf rods and is always willing to help out.

Comment

I could ask my neighbor, who is Llyod Pepper (Rods by Pepper). He has been building them for a LONG time.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks fellas for the replies. I tried contacting Batson, but they sent me a recipe for a salmon rod. I replied with a request for something more appropriate. I will ping Alex at FTU and would certainly listen to anything Mr. Pepper has to say.

ATB,
        Bill
        "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

Let me talk to Pepper this weekend, he should be around. Hopefully he can help. He is 85 and still wading!
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Cool! That's the way I want to go out, rod in hand wading trout green water... Still nothing from Batson. May swing by FTU if they are open tomorrow.

Comment

I met Mr. Pepper for the first time during the tent sale this year. Very nice man and what a nice neighbor to have. I'll trade you! LOL

Comment

He is a really nice guy and they call him the Mayor of West Bay, but his wife Cookie was supposedly one of the best guides here. She has some great stories about how good fishing use to be in West Bay. They spend most of their time at the Sea Center where they volunteer a lot of their time.
                Originally posted by Randy View Post
                I met Mr. Pepper for the first time during the tent sale this year. Very nice man and what a nice neighbor to have. I'll trade you! LOL
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I went by FTU North and was very disappointed. The guys servicing reels in back are expected to help out with the rod building components. They are very behind on service and none too focused on helping with rod parts. The young fellow who tried to help me was nice enough, but knew less about rods building than I and kept trying to sell me top-of-the-line everything.

Ended up just buying some supplies, reel seats, end caps, cork tape, EVA and Hypalon grips. I did hear back from Batson and got a recipe for the surf rod. Going to look around online for the guides.

BTW - I noticed and handled a few Pepper rods at FTU... very nice!

Comment

Started work on the surf rod. Decided to do a cord lower grip and now trying to figure out how best to finish... turks head knots or shrink tube, short EVA at reel seat and as fore grip, apply varnish to cord or just epoxy ends. Decisions, Decisions...

Not using cork tape, as FTU guy forgot to put my tape in bag at check-out. They are mailing it to me as I'm not sure I will make it back their way. Here are a couple of pics.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130706_204447.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	559916Click image for larger version

Name:	20130706_204545.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	559917

Comment

That's awesome and you have put some time into that grip. Very nice!

Comment

Suggestions for first surf rod build Forecast SUR1023 8'6" 8 - 17lb

The knot work is great!
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                        X