X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smell like a skunk? Are You sure You were in the right garden? LOL
    Beandaddy

Comment

Ibtsoom grows some great mustard greens too!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
        Great pics Mike. Fisherman, musician and now gardener. WOW!!!!!!

Comment

This is start to look like a fishing report. All photos, no report.

I've got a couple of questions.

1. I've got a raised bed garden that is 3' x 18', bed depth is 12 to 14". I built the bed last fall and filled it with landscape mix. Based on the performance of my winter garden, I need to juice up the soil. I planned to plant about half the bed in tomato plants. What can I do now to supplement the soil? My Dad says get some chicken manure. He's generally full of manure so I need some guidance.

2. Any comments on when to put the plants in? I see the comments above on varieties that do well here and I'll track some 'big boys' down.

3. Do you guys follow a spray schedule or anything to fertilize and/or manage critters or do you simply watch the plants and fix up as required.

Probably pretty fundamental questions to you guys, but I'm new at this.

JYC
          "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

For JYC
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

tomatoes, egg plant, yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers, orange bell peppers, cucumbers, zuke's, habanero's, jalapeno's, raddish. I have never taken a pic of my garden but that's what goes in every spring. I should be tilling this weekend but the ol' tiller is down. I got to get her running soon though.

Muddskipper knows gardening pretty well also. He needs to chime in on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkyourcroaker View Post

1. I've got a raised bed garden that is 3' x 18', bed depth is 12 to 14". I built the bed last fall and filled it with landscape mix. Based on the performance of my winter garden, I need to juice up the soil. I planned to plant about half the bed in tomato plants. What can I do now to supplement the soil? My Dad says get some chicken manure. He's generally full of manure so I need some guidance.

2. Any comments on when to put the plants in? I see the comments above on varieties that do well here and I'll track some 'big boys' down.

3. Do you guys follow a spray schedule or anything to fertilize and/or manage critters or do you simply watch the plants and fix up as required.

JYC

get your soil tested. That is the best start to have your plants grow. From the test, that will let you know what you need to add to it so that it will grow the best.

I start planting in ground sometime in march. Usually during spring break but that's just me. Kids are out of school and I make them do the prep work.

manage critters as required. Try to find the most organic way to get rid of critters if you get any.

Comment

For anybody that wants to get your soil tested, you can download forms to submit to the Texas Agriculture Extension. It's $10 for a routine analysis (pH, N, P, K, Ca, Mg, Na, S, etc.) and will include a fertilizer recommendation. The forms have details on how to take a sample and where to mail it.

Texas AgriLife Extension Service

PS: Thanks Gilbert
                  "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

soil test kit from H Depot, get soil properly prepaired plant and water, home grown tomaters ,Priceless!!
                    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

reeltime is right on, I have been using medina hastagrow for many years. hands down, best fertilizer out there, no worries about burning your plants. you can foliar feed or root feed. also, have found it's cheaper in the long run to buy in the gal. jug.
                      jerkyourcroaker-find a "Living Earth" soil yard in your area and buy their oragnic compost to add to your garden mix. you have to be careful if you add manure, mushroom compost, etc. to your soil, unless you let it sit for a week or 2, it may may make the soil too hot.

Comment

corndog knows whats up,been eat'n maters all winter!!! thanks ray
                        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkyourcroaker View Post

JYC
                          Mine are raised bed as well -- My general rule is fowl manure one year and cow manure the next.

As far as when to plant -- most old-timers say that if you plant anything before good Friday it's bad luck. Down here we have to start as early as we can though because it gets hot so fast -- I have some things planted now (put onions in on the first part on Nov) and the potatoes will go in this month by the 15th if it stops raining long enough. As far as the spring garden I'll put mine in in march as soon as we get a weather break and just baby it until there's no more danger of frost. If you're starting plants from seed indoors -- do it now. Otherwise you can just buy em at the nursery in march or april. Maas nursery over off Todville road has a great variety for all of the garden seasons.

Having a raised bed it's really easy to lay down that roll out black landscape cloth and plant through it. This will greatly cut down on weeds and bugs and the water and fertilizer will go right through. I use a good standard fertilizer like 13-13-13 to begin with and till it in. After that I spray about once a week with the miracle grow stuff that you can fit on your hose. As far as bugs good old seven dust goes a long way but ortho makes a good fruit, flower and vegetable insect killer in a spray bottle for about 6 bucks. -- use as needed. Don't vary your watering too much and dont over water -- especially when it gets hot. If you miss a day watering when it's 105 outside it's not necessarily terrible but don't overwater the next day to make up for it. Good consistant soil moisture is very important.

All of the pics I posted above were from my fall garden -- I put those tomatoes up on Dec 24th.
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Back when I was growing peppers & "maters I hated the mess of soil. Also, it crowded my front patio area. In college a buddy grew tomatoes inside in a bucket he bought on ebay with a light bulb hanging above it. I did some research and made the switch.

I switched to a hydroponic system. The lack of room in my front yard, the sun was only good for 2 plants, the cats & squirrels were eating everything to quick etc. all led to my decision.

So, I experimented with growing under artificial light inside and found I could double my yield in 1/2 the time.
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I like the idea of doing a forum for gardening .... I am big into organic gardening .... but Love to grow herb .... the kind you use in foods ....

But Granny always said ... "you can't smoke what you don't roll" ... seriously...she said that .... it tripped me out ...

I digress .... Either way now is the time to start talking about spring gardens

I just split a dump truck with 8 cubic yards of compost with my neighboor .... we spread it out on our yards .....

I still have bell peppers producing today
                              FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Coe added a Gaden Forum!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X