No announcement yet.

A Few Pictures Of The Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pick small small pods and wash it. The smaller the better.
    Fry a slice of bacon and sautéed some onions and just a pinch of fresh garlic with it.
    Dice about a 1/4C of fresh tomato and throw that in when the onions are soft.

Throw in the okra (bout two to 3 cups)with the stem cut off or if they are larger than your pinky cut in pieces.
    Add about a cup of good water or a little chicken broth for more flavor and boil till tender. I like to place a tight lid on the pot before they are just about tender.

Great way to eat it and the taste is wonderful!!

I also like tomato based Okra Creole which is similar to boiled okra but with more tomatos.
    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Wow, that sounds delicious. Will definitely have to try. Have only eaten fried or steamed. But will try this for sure. Thanks mgstei1 for the recipes.
      "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

those all look good.
        The rain up here this year wiped me out. The drought and late freezes for the past 3 years did the same.

Farming will break your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by mgstei1 View Post
          I have always grown Marglobe and sometimes Brandywines. I like the Celebrity but now my favorite small cherry mater is the Juliette.

I guess you mean the Tomato/Cracker or the cukes and milk ?

Cukes and milk, just slice some nice cukes without hide, several rings of Vidalia or sweetest onion you can get, about 2 T of white vinegar, salt , lots of blk pepper, and then enough sweet milk(4%) to lightly cover each slice. do everything at room temp and the flavors mingle and get drastic!!

The Cracker/Tomato Salad my grandma and moma used to make also.

About 2 cups of diced fresh tomatos, drained real good or as much juice out before they get too dry, about 1/3 cup of good mayo, lots of blk pepper, tad of salt. Serve as soon as you get it mixed.

Best Fried Okra Recipe for good measure if you like fried Okra.

Pick no Okra over 3" and then slice length wise leaving the stem on for a nice handle. Throw those curvy pieces into some Shrimp Creole.
          Coat these in and get em coated real good in AP flour. paper lunch bag or grocery bag works good for tossing.
          Beat some egg and buttermilk and pour is a tall cocktail glass or iced tea glass.
          Mash hell out of a sleeve of saltines until consistency of coarse corn meal.
          Get oil or lard up hot like frying fish. Lard is better of course but the liberals always raise hell about health.
          Grab an Okra handle and dip it in BM/Egg mixture and immediately coat with the Saltine crumbs.
          Fry up good and crisp and have lots of Ketchup ready.

Way to windy for fish so I'm here picking Turkey Figs and dehydrating them. And agitating the ol conservatives. Got jam from last year but wife has a recipe for homemade fig Newtons and gotta use dried figs instead of fresh.

I remember the ol Fig Plant in Friendswood and Alvin. Used to pick figs for 2.00 a bushel in Alvin . Good money in the day.
          Wasp bites were free. And we all used to eat them till it made us sick.

Dang liberals want to take my guns , my money , my definition of marriage , but , when they start messing with my lard ..... Watch out !
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes !
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
            X