Follow along as this Kenner gets a fresh transom and deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow along as this Kenner gets a fresh transom and deck

Starting this Monday, this thread will be documenting the reconstruction of the deck and transom of a Kenner bay boat. I will be taking pictures and uploading them showing the complete process. feel free to comment or ask questions. We hope this thread will show you guys that we take pride in quality even in the hidden areas!

Post up pic 1!!!
    Captain Glenn Stevens
    Coastal Guide Service
    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Cool thread!

Comment

The suspense is killing me...
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Ok guys, suspense is over, here's day 1 of the build. Today the outboard was derigged and removed, the aft section of the deck was removed, the casting rear platform was removed, the inner skin and rotten core of the transom was removed, and the customer and I had a conversation about the fate of all the completely soaked floatation foam that was likely a main contributor to the deck rot. We decided all of this old nasty foam will be removed and replaced with fresh 2 part closed cell USCG approved floatation foam. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	558441Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	558442Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	558443Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	558444Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	558445

Comment

WHOA
            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

What is your expected completion date?
              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

I'm gonna enjoy this thread!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Ok guys, sorry for the update delay, here a few from yesterday. The rest of the deck was removed, and all of that wet foam was removed. Today, we will prep the boat for the foam pour, finish cleaning out the transom, and start making the cardboard templates for the deck and transom pieces. And fishnette, it should take another week or so at the latest.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	558450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	558451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	558452

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but why is the console not removed and the underlying foam removed/replaced?
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                      This may be a dumb question, but why is the console not removed and the underlying foam removed/replaced?
                      I'm wondering the same thing...but there are a lot of wires and cables involved in removing it completely. It does look like it is loose.??
                      "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

The customer was in the shop today discussing the same question. I will remove the foam beneath the console either way, but I left the question of removing the console to the customer. The console was left in place in an effort to reduce labor costs. While removing the console and the small patch of deck beneath it would no doubt be beneficial, I feel a sound and proper repair can be made by grafting into it after all foam is removed and the area is thoroughly dried. that particular area of the deck is not "fall apart rotten" like other areas of the boat. I will be drying the underside of it completely with hot air and absorbants and then applying a layer of resin to the underside by tilting it over. The new sections of deck will be of fiberglass sandwich construction and grafted into the 2" tab I've prepared to receive it. Let me know if I answered your questions, and there wont be much of an update for tonight because we were busy with other stuff.

Comment

He's now worried about labor cost? Lol. Cool ready to see final pics
                          Karma's a beach.

Comment

What happened to this thread, no update for almost a week????

Comment

Originally posted by markopoolo View Post
                              What happened to this thread, no update for almost a week????
                              Addict! Now, admit you have a problem and go to the welcome format and post, "My name is Marcopoolo and I'm a fishwestend-a-holic." LOL!
                              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                              X