No announcement yet.

Reel gear ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an old bass guys i wouldn't think of chunk-in a crank bait or a spinner bait with anything more than a 5:1 ratio reel.
    Everything else i would prefer 6.3:1 or higher.

Comment

I like the 5:1 for 1/2 oz. spoons and 51-52 mirrolures. anybody got one they want to sell?

Comment

I am going to start using my slower reels too. I am sure I am ripping the baits past fish so I can make the next cast. I found 2 of my spinning reels that are 5.1's. Guess it's time to put down the baitcasters and spin. I will have to learn to slow my retrieve.

Comment

Originally posted by castaway300 View Post
          As an old bass guys i wouldn't think of chunk-in a crank bait or a spinner bait with anything more than a 5:1 ratio reel.
          Everything else i would prefer 6.3:1 or higher.
          When I bass fished regularly I liked to rip the spinner baits as I was normally using them to cover a larger amount of area. Just how I was taught I guess.

Comment

I'm not interested in eggbeaters(spinners) but if anyone has a 5:1 baitcaster for sell I'm interested. First reel I learned to throw baits on was a Shimano Bantam 5:1 back in the 80's. Wore out 2 of them and I prefer a Shimano but will also take a Diawa so long as it's 5:1. Fish on.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
              I'm not interested in eggbeaters(spinners) but if anyone has a 5:1 baitcaster for sell I'm interested. First reel I learned to throw baits on was a Shimano Bantam 5:1 back in the 80's. Wore out 2 of them and I prefer a Shimano but will also take a Diawa so long as it's 5:1. Fish on.
              All mine are in use at the time being. I've gone out to ebay and bought some pretty good reels there. Especially if you like the older Bantam I know there are some out there.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
                I may have one or two lying around. I'll check when I get home.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                  I've alway been told in the winter to use the old 5500 ABUs because they retrieve slower then the new stuff. I loved my Bantams 250s but can't seem to find parts . Chris you repair them ? i think I've got 3 or 4 I'd like to get going just for old time sake.
                  PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                  X