Marine plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Marx
    4 sheets ? Are you doing the outside as well LOL ? Buy the pressure treated and paint the heck out of it . I had plain plywood in one of my boats for years out in the sun 24/7 . Salt water doen't rot wood much if any . Fresh water (rain , washing ect.) is what rots wood .
    Thats actual wat me and Sam(Drifter) were talking about just regular plywood and resin coating or urethaning it and then carpet. Yeah four sheets see the about 2" gap on each side of the floor sheet it would take almost 5' to have it decked completely so thats two sheets there then a one sheet in front one in back(not whole sheets just parts ) but yeah 4 sheets haha.

Comment

Man, thats a lot of Sheets!!
      West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
        Man, thats a lot of Sheets!!
        I get cold hahahaha!

Comment

That sounds like the best idea. Regular ply with polyester resin coating. I think I'd go with that to avoid the copper issue.
          "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
            How many sheet are in it now ?
            They have one on the floor and all the rest looked like they took scraps screwed them down then carpeted. 4 sheets is wat i will need but no the whole 4 sheets wont be used i only need about 3 1/2 but i cant but half sheets. Now if i do my floor like it is now and leave the gaps on the sides ill only need need 3 sheets (2 1/2) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by smooth move
              i don't know about his boat, but in about 2 hours, i'll be 3 sheets in the wind.
              Hahahahaha

Comment

X2.... I have always been told that as well

Comment

Originally posted by FISHINFREAK View Post
                  I also just read that the copper( wat they started putting in when they could use arsenic) in treated sheets isnt good for aluminum that it causes oxidization
                  X2.. I have always been told that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 03Marine View Post
                    X2.. I have always been told that as well.
                    Yessir

Comment

Originally posted by FishNette View Post
                      Treated wood should work fine for redecking. Save the extra expense and buy some fishing gear or something else you want or need. If you use marine grade plywood, you will need to epoxy coat it. It is bare/natural, not treated to a higher pressure or more concentrated chemicals(where did that info come from?). That's a lot of extra work. You can use the preassure treated as-is. Good luck with your project! Post pics!

BTW - Saltwater does NOT rot wood.
                      OH guess I just made that Shite up!? Your saying regular treated plywood and marine grade plywood are exactly the same???
                      You been building boats for 65 years like my old man? -- he started when he was 14 building trawlers out of cypress with a hand saw a hand drill and a steam drum. He may know a little something. What would the world be without Google?
                      If you'll call kemah hardware and ask them, they sell about 4 different grades of treated pylons and plywood -- each step up is and increased percentage of whatever chemical they use to keep that stuff from degrading these days. and yes I agree -- salt water doesn't rot wood but untreated wood lasts no time when submerged because there's all kinds of critters that eat it -- I've seen worms eat the whole bottom out of boats and off of pylons. (yea I know -- not the case in a boat floor but if it were me I wouldn't go the cheap route)

Fishinfreak -- good luck to ya man -- i was just trying to be helpful.
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                        OH guess I just made that Shite up!? Your saying regular treated plywood and marine grade plywood are exactly the same???
                        You been building boats for 65 years like my old man? -- he started when he was 14 building trawlers out of cypress with a hand saw a hand drill and a steam drum. He may know a little something. What would the world be without Google?
                        If you'll call kemah hardware and ask them, they sell about 4 different grades of treated pylons and plywood -- each step up is and increased percentage of whatever chemical they use to keep that stuff from degrading these days. and yes I agree -- salt water doesn't rot wood but untreated wood lasts no time when submerged because there's all kinds of critters that eat it -- I've seen worms eat the whole bottom out of boats and off of pylons. (yea I know -- not the case in a boat floor but if it were me I wouldn't go the cheap route)

Fishinfreak -- good luck to ya man -- i was just trying to be helpful.
                        I appreciate it alot man! I decided im gonna do marine plywood on the floor and just go with regular plywood that ill coat everywhere else(front and back deck) seeing how the floor to me is the most important and would be the more time consuming to replace again . Kemah hardware was very helpful they also suggesting some sealant thats marine grade i think is call Goldspar that im also gonna pick up. But anyways thanks.

Comment

Please dont take this the wrong way. I have owned several flatbottom tin cans and can speak from my experience. Dont spend a dime on plywood. Rip it all out and run it bare floor.Your just adding weight to a tin can. If you want something on the bottom buy a rubber coated floor mat from home depot.
                          Last edited by corndog; July 10, 2012, 07:48 PM.
                          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                            Please dont take this the wrong way. I have owned several flatbottom tin cans and can speak from my experience. Dont spend a dime on plywood. Rip it all ot and run it bare floor.Your just adding wieght to a tin can. If you want somethin on the bottom buy a rubber coated floor mat from home depot.
                            I hear u to each his own man but im gonna put a floor though with as big as the ribs are and the fact my wife will be fishing here and there with me im for sure puttin one in thanks for the input though.

Comment

Originally posted by FISHINFREAK View Post
                              I hear u to each his own man but im gonna put a floor though with as big as the ribs are and the fact my wife will be fishing here and there with me im for sure puttin one in thanks for the input though.
                              I hear ya.I used 3/8" cheap stuf in my last one and it worked just fine and saved me some cash for other stuff. Its still holding up 5 yrs later for my friend that bougt my boat.Just saying. Post some pics when you get her finished. Good luck
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

If use use some kind of clear coat on the plywood, Keeping the water off the wood should Definitely make the wood last longer, Do the front,back & sides. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X