Trailer Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
    So Kenny you ground your trailer to your vehicle in addition to having the ground through the normal plug?
    Yeah, I don't get a good ground through the ball/plug on my Tundra. The separate ground seems to work.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I bought 2 replacement regular turn signals/break lights $6 at Academy... just going to replace and see if that's the problem... I had 1/2 of my LED's working in 1 light then they stopped working completely... We'll see how long they last
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

The ground connections are of great importance. Here is a help site: http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm
        Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Comment

Well I bought the $6 submersible lights... Ended up dunking them without remembering to unplug so after I get boat back on trailer I have 2 shattered bulbs drove up to store less that 1/4 mile away from ramp and grabbed 4 extra bulbs!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
            Well I bought the $6 submersible lights... Ended up dunking them without remembering to unplug so after I get boat back on trailer I have 2 shattered bulbs drove up to store less that 1/4 mile away from ramp and grabbed 4 extra bulbs!
            my fishing trips are full of those kinds of adventures. I bring most of them on myself Im forgetful!!youre not the lone ranger bro P.S 007 has a professional trailer light installer! ask him
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Williep View Post
              I don't know how I missed this thread when it started. Kenny hit the nail on the head. I think 75% of the time it's going to have something to do with the ground. Clean all connections at the plug and then start checking the trailer. Some place you will find corrosion on a connection and a little Corrosion X want hurt either after everything is cleaned up.

"Spark plug grease" generously inserted in the connectors will decrease the chance of a bad connection. Also remember sometimes it is between the ball and hitch that needs some cleaning off to complete the ground. The rust on the ball works off after a few turns. Just a thought.
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I believe that's called "di-electric grease" by the people at the Auto Zone. Good point Corndog. Personally every time I've had a light issue, it's been the ground.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Also, the LED's I pulled off had ground wires, the new submersible ones from Academy lack any ground!

Comment

still have to watch the bulbs blowing. hot bulbs & cool water = another set of bulbs
                    Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

I switched to LED's two years ago. I was going through anywhere from 5 to 8 sets of light a year with the old bulb style. These LEDs are great in my opinion. Still on the same set. Mine go under water everytime I launch, there not mounted on guide poles. All connections are sealed very well with liquid electrical tape I think its called. They work great for me, I will never go back. I will agree with the grounding issue, loose or rusted grounds have caused me more headachs than anything else.

AQUA PIMP
                      AQUA PIMP......
                      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                        I switched to LED's two years ago. I was going through anywhere from 5 to 8 sets of light a year with the old bulb style. These LEDs are great in my opinion. Still on the same set. Mine go under water everytime I launch, there not mounted on guide poles. All connections are sealed very well with liquid electrical tape I think its called. They work great for me, I will never go back. I will agree with the grounding issue, loose or rusted grounds have caused me more headachs than anything else.

AQUA PIMP

AP- I had LED's only reason I went away is because 1/2- 3/4 of them went out, one whole marker light failed and the other had 3-5 led's left to light the entire thing... I'm sure I will go back but this time remember to unplug lights before backing each time... These regular bulbs have got me in the habit of doing just that!

Comment

You shouldn't half to unplug the LEDs. I never have on mine. They also make an LED light that is made to slip right over the guide poles. Will alaways keep them out of the water. If I had guide poles this would be the deifinate way to go. I think they run about $80 bucks.

AQUA PIMP
                          AQUA PIMP......
                          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Working...
                          X