Need some help catching fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help catching fish

Hey all. I just started fishing around 2 months ago here and I have been out half a dozen times and have only caught 1 flounder and 1 croaker, so I thought I would come by and ask for some advice. I want to catch reds and trout.

First trip:
    Seawolf Park - This trip was the first week of November. Finally found a spot where there weren't people every foot and through out for about an hour and caught 1 flounder (a keeper too) with a medium light pole, spinning reel, two jigheads tied 12" apart directly to the main line (8 pound mono), and some Berkley Gulp 4" solid chartreuse mullet shaped. Was getting dark about that time and the mosquito were starting to swarm so I headed in.

Second trip:
    Surfside jetty & Pelican island bridge - Stayed out at the jetty for about an hour, but kept getting hung up and losing lures when reeling in. Threw out live shrimp and mud minnows for about 4 hours at pelican island bridge and caught nothing. People around me caught about 3 in that time.

Third trip:
    81st street fishing pier - Brought out my medium heavy rods with my Abu Garcia 4400C3 and 6600BCX reels and threw out dead shrimp on various jigs and drop weighted rigs. Caught 1 croaker (YAY, a fish). No one else around me was catching anything significant.

Fourth trip:
    8 Mile Road - Figured that my lack of success was not getting around the crowd and getting to where the fish are, so I bought a 14' kayak and put off for my first time at 8 Mile Road. Stayed close to my launch point and threw Berkley Gulp 3" shrimp on jigs. Caught nothing

Fifth trip:
    8 Mile Road - Sportsman Rd launch - Went out here yesterday from 1-5 PM and threw Mirrolure Catch2000 (pink top, silver middle, chartreuse bottom), Kelly Wigglers (dark black/purple w/ chartreuse tail), silver spoons, Berkley Gulp 4" solid chartreuse mullet. Caught nothing. Fished the marsh near the launch and oxen bayou.

Today's trip:
    Drum Bay - Launched at 257L and stayed on the south section. Went out today from 11-4 and threw the same and still caught nothing. Overcast all day. Called it quits when it started to rain.

So, I am frustrated. Have spent about a grand in equipment at this point and still can't catch anything. My equipment is as follows:

14' Heritage Redfish kayak
    7' Shimano Clarus medium heavy baitcasting pole with Abu Garcia 4400C3 reel - 20# PowerPro braid with 4-5' 20# flouro leader joined via bloodknot
    6' 10" H2Oxpress medium heavy baitcasting pole with Abu Garcia 6600BCX reel - 30# PowerPro braid with 2-3' 20# flouro leader joined via 80# Spiro swivel (trilene knots)
    4 coil Emmrod with H2Oxpress mettle reel - 8# mono
    Berkley Gulp (have a bunch of different types): 4" mullet - chartreuse, 3" poggy, 5" shad, a bucket of the 3" shrimp, few others
    Kelly Wigglers - Dark purple/black body with chartreuse tail
    Mirrolure Catch2000 - pink, silver, chartreuse + bone/silver

I really don't know what to try next. I still think I am not getting to where the fish are. When I was fishing in my kayak it always seemed like I was in 2-3 foot of water. I have been reading to fish near the reeds/grass, but it is always so shallow close to the grass. Should I be fishing in 1-3 foot of water?

Should I be casting towards the grass or out towards the center?
    What should I be looking for in a good fishing spot?
    How many times should I throw out before moving on?
    Should I just breakdown and get a guide?
    Any suggestions on guides that work well with kayak fishermen?
    Any other lures/equipment that I MUST try?
    Will a fishfinder help at all?
    What is a good spot during winter?

If anyone has a fishing spot or GPS coordinates that are accessible via kayak that they would be willing to PM me, I would love to try it. I am not trying to catch trophies, I just want to catch a damn fish! Any other tips or advice, send em my way. I am located in Galveston, but will go anywhere within an hour drive or so. My next stop is bayou's up by exit 6.

Wow!! If there were a fish caught that would be a hell of a report. I will pm u

Comment

Oh despite what everyone says. Go to chocolate. All sorts of fish up in there. Lol

Comment

Just keep at it. This isn't the easiest time of year if you haven't been doing it for a really long time. Take a trip with aqua pimp and he'll put you on the right path.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Will do! Going back out tomorrow AM. Plan is to launch at Louis bait camp and head south from there. Hopefully get back in before church, but who knows! Thanks for the tips so far. If I still have trouble, I will keep aqua pimp in mind. I am assuming his number/info is somewhere around this site. Will look for it.

Comment

You can pm him on here.
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by 03Marine View Post
              Oh despite what everyone says. Go to chocolate. All sorts of fish up in there. Lol

NFIC!

And good luck with da reefs and gators.
              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...
              X