468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gps/depthfinder-which one to buy? Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gps/depthfinder-which one to buy? Help!!

My Lowrance 5000 Globalmap on the Robalo crapped out (second time). My cheap Eagle combo units also have crapped out (the Eagles were once made by Lowrance and were sold). I used to have dual gps and depth finders on my Robalo-now down to just a depthfinder. My skeeter has the cheap Eagle 502C-worked great until "GPS Not Responding" came on-plus the plugs are very crummy and crumble in the sun/heat over time and are about $70 to replace!!

I will call Lowrance and see if they'll give me some whopping discount for the old ($800 original cost) Globalmap (pure gps-not a combo) and if they do, I'll probably get a HD 5 or HD 7. If not, will tell them what I think and will get a Garmin.

What Garmin combo unit do you all recommend? I am in the $600 category for a combo 5" size unit for the skeeter and would like a $600to $800 max price for a 5" to 7" combo unit for the Robalo.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

I have a humminbird 987c on my Marshall flats boat and I love it! Paid close to 800 for it but 9 inches is a large screen for my 18 foot boat!

Comment

I used to run Hummingbird many many years ago and the depth finder would not work well at high speeds-has it changed from that hockey puck design to something more hydrodynamic that works in waves and high speeds? That is reason I didn't even mention Hummingbird because my old Hummingbird depth finders (before gps existed) were crapola that I eventually threw away-and it wasn't because it was not installed correctly-they were put on per instructions and only gave me readings while going slow.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

My Humminbird does not work well at speed either...and it is only 2 years old. The transducer seems to be a more hydrodynamic design, but just doesn't work at high speeds with any consistency.
        "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

New raymarine dragonfly is within those standards, has DSI and uses CHIRP. Already have mine on order they will be in in a few weeks.
          Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

I love my garmin 546s it finds bottom structure shell rock and is an awesome bay gps dept tide spots and who know what it can all do no regrets.

Comment

I have the Lowrance HDS 5 , I love it......

Comment

I"ve had both Garmin & Lowrance and I like the HDS5 Lowrance I have now, but don't think it will last as long as the Garmin. When I have to get another one, I'll get a Garmin again.
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

for the price the Lowrance Elite5with DSI runs around 600, it is a great little unit and has structure scan, tracking, and real user friendly.
                  Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                  (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                  4340 19th St.
                  Bacliff, Texas 77518
                  http://evansmarine.net
                  http://boatwerxtx.com
                  main@boatwerxtx.com
                  281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

I love my Garmin 541s. With the Homeport software for my laptop it makes entering waypoints and whatnot easy. I'd go with a Garmin.

Comment

I have the Lowrance HDS 7 and the Elite DSI. Both work very good. Evans installed them on two different boats. Very neat installation on both. Good price also
                      Fishwhisperer

Comment

What's the difference between the 541s and 546s? Why do they mess with BS like transducer bought separately and what map version (worldwide or US Coastal)?

It's making me mad that Garmin pulls this sheeet and why can't they make it simple instead of trying to screw you with BS add ons that should be included with the unit. May just go back to Lowrance, but their units turn to crap in 4-6 years which is BS.

Comment

The last time I saw you out why the he!! Would you even need a GPS? You can see the roof top of your house from where you were lmao. Just follow the underwater canal light home if you stay out til dark. Can never go wrong with a Garmin.

AQUA PIMP
                          AQUA PIMP......
                          "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                            The last time I saw you out why the he!! Would you even need a GPS? You can see the roof top of your house from where you were lmao. Just follow the underwater canal light home if you stay out til dark. Can never go wrong with a Garmin.

AQUA PIMP
                            I wouldn't need a GPS if your boat wasn't so damn fast and if ya slept in some instead of leaving at 5 am. Geez, ya'd think that a neighbor would let ya follow them (even with clients aboard)!! Ha Ha.

Just remember ----"POTLICKIN' AINT EZ"

WWW. POTLICKINASSAULT.NOT

Comment

546s better picture in the sun clear as a bell bottom readings

Comment

Working...
                              X