What Freshwater gear do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Freshwater gear do I need?

I'm heading out to Sweet Home to my wife's family farm next week and we thought it would be fun to try our hand at a little freshawter tank fishing. I haven't freshwater fished since I was in College and I don't know what to bring other than rods & reels. What hooks, lures and bait should I bring along?
    Thanks!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

spinner baits work well in the spring...bass should be up on flats on their beds so dragging something that can run shallow would work well...you also could use any of your mullet plastics or bounce something like a chicken boy along bottom...and top waters that you use now...have fun
    sigpic

Comment

get you a spinner bait or two and you will do fine.
      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Or....

Some minnows unders a popping cork, and an ice chest full of beer. Damn, this list keeps growing - a chair with a beer holder.
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Can't do chit without cold beer
          Karma's a beach.

Comment

baby bass assassins fluke work good for me weightless.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a white with silver bladed rooster tail, it will catch anything that swims in the tank. If you want to catch bass on top a buzz bait right around sundown should do the trick, but if the water is warm I catch them on top dog jr.'s and super spooks.
              Son of the Republic

Comment

I would rig some gulp worms under a cork wacky still and some Texas style.
                Fishwhisperer

Comment

How big is the tank...do they have bass,perch and catfish?
                  I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I can't really remember how big it is and I've got no earthly idea what''s in there. In fact the thing may be bereft of fish. I just thought it would be a fun family activity to try while we're there. I'm guessing it's about 75 yards square. According to my father in law there are fish in it, but I don't think he actually knows. I will say there aren't any skeeters around it.

Comment

Don't forget to try a Lizard in Blue/black or Pumpkin/Char.., if there are any Bass in there, the will attack it.

I'm heading to Ray Scott's Private Lake in Alabama again on the 18th and I'm taking the entire Academy Freshwater inventory with me.., got to get into that freshwater mode again. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

box of earthworms and some topwaters and a mepps spinner is what i would throw.

Comment

I'll bring a trowel and see what we can dig up.

Comment

mix some Clorox with water and pour down the earthworm hole. or straight clorox will work.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll drop into the walmart in Halletsville for some spinnerbait, worms, and something stinky for cats. I guess that'll do. I'll post up pix later.

Comment

Working...
                              X