Casting Reel Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting Reel Help?

Hello All, I have a question for you all? I use bait casters first and spinners last. Which or What should I look for in a bait casting reel to give me max casting distance using a 1/4 jig head? Thanks in advance. Weldonj

Good question! I wish I had a good answer for you.
    I've fished $25 to $350 reels and I've basically gotten the same distance out of all of them. I've had a couple of clunkers in the mix but most of them cast fine regardless.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I prefer Curado. I look for used ones in the older FS models. But that is my prference...not stating emphatically it will cast further.

I also think the rod has a lot to do with it...
      sigpic

Comment

1/4 oz is pretty heavy and can be casted with just about any reel out there but you will get better distance with the better Shimano reels (curado, chronarch, core, calcutta) most of the time. If you tune up others they will get the distance of the better shimano reels but why not just go with the best? Shimano will last longer than any other reel out there also.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

The reel is only one part of the equation. Yes some of the more high end reels can help some when it comes to casting distance. However, Reel, Rod, Line, Lure or whatever you have tied on will all effect casting distance.

Comment

Dpop nailed it...... I use a smaller diameter line which gives me a greater casting distance. A good mechanical working reel with well working bearings and a small diameter line can cast the lightest baits a good distance.

AQUA PIMP
            AQUA PIMP......
            "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Thanks to everyone! I will use and keep all the advice that has been given to me today

Comment

The best one is the one in your budget...

Comment

Those guys said it all . Just keep your reel clean , especially the bearings . After cleaning with a solvent and before applying one drop of light oil , it should spin freely .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Joining in a little late, but the U.S. Reels cast longer for me (as advertised). They've got a see-saw level wind without an eyelet that slows line as it goes out. I get good distance. Then again a buddy outcasts me with a Curado and good line.

Comment

I own every shimano out there and use 1/4 oz. heads in certain conditions. I prefer 1/8 oz. heads, 12# mono and my little speeds pool will outcast them all. Only drawback, don't wade fish with the lews. I throw soft plastics 90% of the time and like my old dad used to say" son, speckled trout will pass up any bait to get to a shrimp.."

Comment

Working...
                      X