Leaking tilt cyclinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking tilt cyclinder

I have a 97 force 120hp. The tilt motor is fine, but the cyclinder seems to be leaking at the top around the rod.

Question is: Do i need to take the outboard off the transom to take this thing off? The tilt cylinder is connected to the tilt motor at the base. It is not connected with hydraulic lines.

I would like to try to rebuild this myself. Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.

You should be able to replace the seals by taking the top of the cylinder apart with the tilt rods lowered. You will have to hold the motor up to lower the tilt rods. I am not an outboard mechanic but I have been fixin chit all my life. LOL
    Beandaddy

Comment

Flip your lever on motor to hold it up...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Check first to make sure you can get a kit for it....sure you could find out on Google or Evans Marine is a sponsor call them and ask bout it

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming... just started working on it.

Comment

Did you get a seal kit ?

Comment

Not yet. Figured I'd take it off the boat, and take it to a local hydraulics shop.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I was able to remove one of the small pins that looks like a nail on the top of the rod that pushes the motor up. the bottom pin is a little more froze up. sprayed some more wd-40, and I will get back to it later this afternoon.

Comment

Hopefully they can help ya out....

Comment

I was able to get the bottom retaining pin out last night, but the rod that holds the cylinder in place is a different story. that sucker is froze in there pretty good. I'll have more time to work on it this afternoon, and this weekend. Time to break out the 3 pound hammer. There does not seem to be any corrosion on the rods, so hopefully they will come out.

Looking at the back of the boat on the port (left side) of the tilt cylinder there are 2 holes at the base of the cylinder. I am guessing since I can't see anything in the holes because of where they are at. that this is where there are bolts holding the tilt cylinder to the tilt motor. If anyone has any ideas of what these two holes at the base are please let me know...

Comment

Not sure myself

Comment

Maybe a pic might help...

Comment

Maybe this diagram will help?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	30459.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	560455

found from this website: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/fo...5h145-1-f5h146

Comment

There ya go Greg.....good thinking the net is everyone's friend . Maybe even check on youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X