when do I plan a fishing trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do I plan a fishing trip

I need some of you old salts to clue me in as to when would be a good time to find redfish up shallow. I went fishing in December while I visited my grandson and all I caught was black drum, sheepshead and lady fish. I would like to know when the best time would be to hook up with some nice redfish and trout. I'm TDY in the desert, so please make my time on the water productive. And to add to the level of difficulty, I'll be fly fishing. I've been tying every kind of fly that can be found in the bay area in hopes of maybe completing the Texas slam. Any help is appreciated, but I don't snipe hunt.

I like the fall for the marsh - starting about sept. They're always around though.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

You need to PM "JIM" on this site . He in my opinion is the resident marsh redfish fly expert . I think he doesn't start redfish fishing until spring . Go to the members list and find JIM , and then go to threads stated by JIM and read his fishing reports . He fishes from a kayak which would be a must in those back marshes or a small skiff that you can quietly pole .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
        I like the fall for the marsh - starting about sept. They're always around though.
        What he said. October is always my best month in the marsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Contact Capt Steve Soule. He goes by The Shallowist on here.

Comment

Yes , if you want a guide , Capt. Steve is the man . He fly fishes as well as rod and reel . He can put you on redfish .
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Not really looking for a guide, just a time of year that is more productive for redfish and a general direction. Catching is nice but the journey is half the fun.

Comment

reds are always around although summer and fall are the best. fish along the grass lines as close as you can get, that's where they usually are chasing bait. spring and fall is best for trout with arties, live croaker in the summer. you can catch them all year long if you now where to look, it all depends on the weather. hope this helps a little.
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Talk to " JIM " . Fly fishing for reds in the marsh is all he does .

Comment

Working...
                  X