Coil problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil problems?

I'm hoping maybe someone out there can shed a little light on this issue for me. I have a 115 V4 1192 Johnson. My outboard will sometimes bog on me. I have found that if I mess with the spark plug wire connecting to the coil on the top left side it re-gains power. Any help is appreciated. Gracias.

1992 Johnson oops.

Comment

Any cracks, kinks, or rot to the coil wire?

If a coil was going bad, it most often is intermittent which your sounds to be. Coils appear to be around $30 online and plug wires $10, if you want to start replacing parts, I'd go there first.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramps View Post
        Any cracks, kinks, or rot to the coil wire?

If a coil was going bad, it most often is intermittent which your sounds to be. Coils appear to be around $30 online and plug wires $10, if you want to start replacing parts, I'd go there first.
        Thank you, will do.

Comment

Sounds like Plugwire since your jiggling it makes motor run smooth. You can easily check coils-start motor (while running water through engine) and use either rubberized glove or plastic type or insulated pliers and start by unhooking plug wire one at a time and see if motor acts up-if motor acts up and almost dies, re-attach that plug wire and move to next. If motor doesn't start to sputter and try to die, the coil to that cylinder is bad-repeat for each cylinder-usually only 1 coil goes bad.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
            Sounds like Plugwire since your jiggling it makes motor run smooth. You can easily check coils-start motor (while running water through engine) and use either rubberized glove or plastic type or insulated pliers and start by unhooking plug wire one at a time and see if motor acts up-if motor acts up and almost dies, re-attach that plug wire and move to next. If motor doesn't start to sputter and try to die, the coil to that cylinder is bad-repeat for each cylinder-usually only 1 coil goes bad.
            Thanks Robalo!

Comment

An update that might help others. Took my rig to a local marine shop (Alvin area) Compression showed 100,100,100, 90 the guy said I had a flat spot on my 4th cylinder piston causing bad compression.... he said I needed a new power head.......$3000 to start off....!!!!!??? I said forget that , no way I'm spending that on a 1992 outboard. Paid the guy his $100 fee for the bad news and went on my way. 95 compression didn't seem so bad to me so I dropped it off at buddies house and he agreed so he cleaned the power pack coil connections, cleaned and taped up any corrosion spots he saw ( green corrosion many spots) and bingo! NO MORE bogging or stalling. I am ordering a new power pack today $95. Check the simple thing first. Cant understand how a shade mower mech can find things a cert marine mech cant........

Comment

Take it to Evans marine!!!!!
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                  Take it to Evans marine!!!!!
                  Yep, I should have. Next time fo sure!!!!

Comment

I bet I can guess the shop in alvin too
                    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Pieman:

My 1986 90 hp Rude did the same thing. If #4 Cyl was "bad", you'd not be "intermittent"-that Alvin Mechanic is a dumarse.

On those old bullet-proof rudes/johnsons, 99% of the time it is a bad coil or power pack-extremely simple fix and cheap. Glad your buddy figured it out.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Glad to hear you figured it out. thanks for the warning!

Comment

I'm envious of you guys who are mechanically inclined . I never had the need , inclination , or desire .
                          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                            Pieman:

My 1986 90 hp Rude did the same thing. If #4 Cyl was "bad", you'd not be "intermittent"-that Alvin Mechanic is a dumarse.

On those old bullet-proof rudes/johnsons, 99% of the time it is a bad coil or power pack-extremely simple fix and cheap. Glad your buddy figured it out.

yup. my dad always had a spare power pack on the boat.

Comment

Working...
                            X