Fishing Playa Del Carmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Playa Del Carmen

My family is going to Playa Del Carmen next month for our first real vacation in 15 years. I'd love to get in a fishing trip while I'm there, but most of the ones I've seen are offshore and I'd rather fish in skinny water. Any of y'all have recommendations?
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

That's fantastic news , Bruce ! I'm happy for you but I don't know about inshore fishing there . Have you googled it yet ?
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I went with Capt ricks, but that was offshore. ( actually only about a mile out bc of water depth drop ) but I was googling it and found two or three guides that do flats fishing in tulum area, but it ain't cheap and it's a good haul from playa, 2-3 hours
      Karma's a beach.

Comment

Don't waste your money trying to go offshore if you can't find a flats guide bc it's a bad time of the year, I went in October and they told me I was a couple months late for the good fishing. Good luck Bruce!!! Just stay on the beach and drink em up and look at beautiful women !!
        Karma's a beach.

Comment

I did a little research and it looked like most of the guides were offshore. There were a few pangas that looked like they'd be good for reef fishing, but I wasn't sure what they were like.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip Bruce. Enjoy the time on the beach!
            TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Bruce:
              I fish out of Tankah Bay-an ex-pat-Gary Phillips originally from Corpus owns Casa Cenote-I recommend you check it out-it is between Xel Ha and Tulum, so a good hour south of Playa plus by car-bring a mask, snorkel and water shoes-watch for slippery rocks-enter from south of the cenote at Casa Cenote-less slippery-a panga at dive shop next to Gary's restaurant (good food at Casa Cenote) is about $150 for 4 hours-a 20' panga-bring your own beer and cooler-they'll have water/cokes(?) -maybe-you can reef fish or go snorkeling if ya don't wanna go the 1/2 mile thru the reef into 300-600' of water. If you do go there to Gary's, you need to check out the cenote in front of the restaurant. Xpu Ha is also neat-about 30 minutes south of Playa-used to be a good restaurant there. Tulum-it's mighty big now-all tourista-south along the beach road towards Punta Allen is Ascension Bay and that is where permit, bone and tarpon fishing is at Boca Paila-long slow car drive full of potholes-I think the lodge is Pescado Maya???-basically the closet place to Playa for Bonefishing I think. Go look at Google Earth and look around. I know a guy that fished north of Cancun and caught trout-I believe he was towards Holbox or San Felipe-quite a looonggg ways away from Playa-around and north of the peninsula-about 150 miles??

Be careful leaving anything on the beach in Playa-scumbag thieves are around. IMO, you couldn't pay me to visit Xel Ha-too tourista for me-same goes for most 'swim with dolphins' stuff-but to each their own.

SUMMARY:

most towns, especially Playa have pangas for rent-around $150 for 1/2 day-bring beer and food-and extra beer for the guys taking you out-they won't get drunk but they'll appreciate a gringo giving them a few beers. No lifevests usually and no fishing license. Big boats usually run about $450-800/day - about 1/2 of US prices. I prefer the pangas myself. For $150 and a case of beer for 2 folks , it sure is a good entertaining 1/2 day-you will see turtles, catch barracuda, some other reef species-two years ago Mona caught a 60 inch Dorado and earlier this year, a boat near us hooked a sail. Usually they troll-and if tired of fishing and ya bring a mask and snorkel, you can see some nice reefs mainly untouched by others. I believe it will be lobster season-make sure you eat some lobster-fairly cheap and do not order it if out of season cause it's frozen and suxs. Shrimp isn't really indigenous to the carribean, so stay away from shrimp in general-it would be like ordering shrimp in Oklahoma. Drogas is a major crackdown (checkpoints on both sides of 307 at Playa and another one at Tulum), so no spleef (but ya may find some by a beach vendor if ya ask but MX jail aint Purdy)-don't speed on hwy either-they have radar! I always rent a car in Cancun, but you can take the bus/vans-white colored ones and they stop and pick ya up along 307 for cheap-like a few dollars- BUT ya may have long walks to the beach! Bring a soft-sided cooler-you will not regret it-pack it in your suitcase. Playa is huge now-back in the 80's there was one main dirt road off 307 and 307 was a dangerous small 2 lane hwy with no shoulder-there was 2 banks, a bus station, a few dumpy restaurants about 3 bars and a couple of roach motels-was darn great fun back then-and darn cheap-case of Dos XX was $4-now it costs about the same as here. Now it is huge-big as Galveston and just as bad of traffic.

Have fun-be careful-ya may want to check out locogringos.com for info.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

If ya speak Spanish, you'll do fine-watch out for any sales people (they are every where and will try to fool you, especially any Democrats)-they never shut up and hard sell ya until ya say GTF away from me azzwipe.

Leave the illegal immigrants there-DO NOT BRING THEM BACK WITH YOU EVEN THOUGH OBAMA INVITED THEM ALL!!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                  Bruce:
                  I fish out of Tankah Bay-an ex-pat-Gary Phillips originally from Corpus owns Casa Cenote-I recommend you check it out-it is between Xel Ha and Tulum, so a good hour south of Playa plus by car-bring a mask, snorkel and water shoes-watch for slippery rocks-enter from south of the cenote at Casa Cenote-less slippery-a panga at dive shop next to Gary's restaurant (good food at Casa Cenote) is about $150 for 4 hours-a 20' panga-bring your own beer and cooler-they'll have water/cokes(?) -maybe-you can reef fish or go snorkeling if ya don't wanna go the 1/2 mile thru the reef into 300-600' of water. If you do go there to Gary's, you need to check out the cenote in front of the restaurant. Xpu Ha is also neat-about 30 minutes south of Playa-used to be a good restaurant there. Tulum-it's mighty big now-all tourista-south along the beach road towards Punta Allen is Ascension Bay and that is where permit, bone and tarpon fishing is at Boca Paila-long slow car drive full of potholes-I think the lodge is Pescado Maya???-basically the closet place to Playa for Bonefishing I think. Go look at Google Earth and look around. I know a guy that fished north of Cancun and caught trout-I believe he was towards Holbox or San Felipe-quite a looonggg ways away from Playa-around and north of the peninsula-about 150 miles??

Be careful leaving anything on the beach in Playa-scumbag thieves are around. IMO, you couldn't pay me to visit Xel Ha-too tourista for me-same goes for most 'swim with dolphins' stuff-but to each their own.

SUMMARY:

most towns, especially Playa have pangas for rent-around $150 for 1/2 day-bring beer and food-and extra beer for the guys taking you out-they won't get drunk but they'll appreciate a gringo giving them a few beers. No lifevests usually and no fishing license. Big boats usually run about $450-800/day - about 1/2 of US prices. I prefer the pangas myself. For $150 and a case of beer for 2 folks , it sure is a good entertaining 1/2 day-you will see turtles, catch barracuda, some other reef species-two years ago Mona caught a 60 inch Dorado and earlier this year, a boat near us hooked a sail. Usually they troll-and if tired of fishing and ya bring a mask and snorkel, you can see some nice reefs mainly untouched by others. I believe it will be lobster season-make sure you eat some lobster-fairly cheap and do not order it if out of season cause it's frozen and suxs. Shrimp isn't really indigenous to the carribean, so stay away from shrimp in general-it would be like ordering shrimp in Oklahoma. Drogas is a major crackdown (checkpoints on both sides of 307 at Playa and another one at Tulum), so no spleef (but ya may find some by a beach vendor if ya ask but MX jail aint Purdy)-don't speed on hwy either-they have radar! I always rent a car in Cancun, but you can take the bus/vans-white colored ones and they stop and pick ya up along 307 for cheap-like a few dollars- BUT ya may have long walks to the beach! Bring a soft-sided cooler-you will not regret it-pack it in your suitcase. Playa is huge now-back in the 80's there was one main dirt road off 307 and 307 was a dangerous small 2 lane hwy with no shoulder-there was 2 banks, a bus station, a few dumpy restaurants about 3 bars and a couple of roach motels-was darn great fun back then-and darn cheap-case of Dos XX was $4-now it costs about the same as here. Now it is huge-big as Galveston and just as bad of traffic.

Have fun-be careful-ya may want to check out locogringos.com for info.
                  Thanks for all the info! I haven't been to Mexico or Akumal in 16 years or more so I'm really looking forward to it!

Comment

You won't believe how it has changed. Playa is almost like Cancun now. Akumal is almost completely developed. You can catch a panga in Akumal-see the folks at La Cueva De Pescadores restaurant-Edgar is who I used but he's retired.

Comment

Is the guy who owns Cafe Cenote the same one that has been there since the 80's? He took Wilson trout fishing near Cancun when we went down.

Comment

Yes, Gary Phillips-old hippy dude. Opened a restaurant in Florida also. He now has a dive shop/fish charter next to restaurant-and the entire shoreline of Tankah bay is pretty much all villas.

Comment

I'm amazed to hear how much it has been developed. I'm going into this with a mild trepidation I won't like what I find. 40 years ago it was quite rural and unspoiled; even 15 years back not much had been developed in Quintanaroo. Now we're staying in an all inclusive resort on a beach that is lined with resorts. I hope it's as fun as it used to be!

Comment

Working...
                          X