Reel maintenance gone wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel maintenance gone wrong.

Being the handyman I AM NOT I tried to clean my Abu Garcia Promax2 reel. Not just the brake side but the gear side as well, now if I turn the thumb wheel to provide sufficient drag the handle will not turn freely. I have taken it apart several times and cannot seem to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might try looking at Youtube videos and find something.

Also Abu Garcia has a page that shows "Reel Schematics" of all they make:

Comment

What pro max ? There's a 3600,4600,5600 . What model number ?
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Could be as simple as having a curved washer in backwards. Look on the inet for diagrams of your reel. Be very careful and TRY to remember the sequences of each part...good luck.

Comment

It sounds like maybe a part on the main gear shaft is not fitted /seated properly and has the star wheel binding when you increase drag . Make a note on your schematic if you figure it out . Take photos as you disassemble it next time . Lay the parts out in order of disassembly .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I had that problem with the 5500C3. Check the way the washers and spacers are. One on top of the other. Make sure the gears engage with each other. Sometimes there are 2 springs. When you put the casing back to the gear side, make sure it goes on smooth and snug. If it has a spongy feel, reposition, and try again. When putting the screws in, cris-cross them. This will bring the case down evenly. Before you snug the screws down, turn the handle, tighten the drag a bit and see if the spool turns. If it does, tighten the screws. Tighten the drag and check it again. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
            robert
            And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Sounds like great advice from Robert! Even though he out fishes me everytime we fish together

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                You might try looking at Youtube videos and find something.

Also Abu Garcia has a page that shows "Reel Schematics" of all they make:
                http://www.abugarcia.com/Reel-Schema...efault,pg.html
                ...thanks for the schematic link! Even has the blow ups of my old 5000's I saved from the garage that my Dad and I used to fish with in the 60's.

Comment

The guy at the Tackle Hut as reel maintenance and reel repair. If you are getting frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

took it apart again and put it back together. looked like I did every thing the same but now it works!!! LMAO!!

Comment

Good yob
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Super ! You did something different . Carefully inspect each fitting as you disassemble it so you can remember how they fit . Lay parts out in order and take photos of them . You can get good at this .

Comment

Very good advice plugger. I do the same thing. I dismantle and put everything in order. Reassemble backwards. Works every time. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                          X