outboard reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outboard reverse

The boat I bought recently has a 1977 Johnson 85hp. The motor runs fine but, reverse will not engage it just clicks rapidly in the water, in the driveway it shifts fine. If you push the shift lever that's on the motor it goes in reverse and acts like it's supposed to. I've tried adjusting the cable but that took away from the forward shift.at one point I had forward and reverse both clicking and not engaging.
    Not sure if it's the cables worn out or maybe when the guy had the water pump impeller replaced they didn't get everything lined up right or if the dog clutch is wearing out.

Those are the things that Google told me might be wrong. Any ideas on which step I should take next would be appreciated. I forgot how important reverse is on a boat when motoring up to a boat ramp or bait dock.
    Green grass and high tides forever
    Mike Mathena

I think you already tried trouble shooting it-sounds like dog clutch to me and that aint cheap. Maybe try another couple of times adjusting it and when engaged if it doesn't 'pop' or 'click' out of reverse, you got it-if it still does, I'd say dog clutch.

Mechanic recommendation is Evans Marine in San Leon.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Check lower mounts for salt build up. Mounts could be pushing the motor out that could affect the shifting. Also, the shifting rod might need adjusting. If I remember right you need to drop the lower unit to adjust shifting rod. But double check that before you do drop the lower unit.

Comment

I checked for the salt build up, motor is right up against the transom. I'm gonna put it in clear creek tomorrow after work and try to adjust it in the water. When I shifted it by hand it stays in reverse when throttled with no clicking. The weekend is already here so I'll drop the lower unit to adjust the shifting rod in the evenings next week, it looked pretty simple on you tube.
        Mike Mathena

Comment

I was talking about the lower motor mounts. Not where the engine bolts to the transom.

On this diagram #18 is the lower mount and #10 is the cover for the lower mount.
          The bolts might be froze due to salt build up and will need heat to take out. Just do not want you breaking a bunch of bolts if your thinking dropping the lower unit will be easy on a 1977 outboard that has been running in the saltwater.

Comment

Finally got the boat in the creek yesterday evening to adjust the cable. Didn't work, it does shift into reverse easily by hand and when throttled it stays in reverse no clicking or popping out of gear or what not. I was anchored when I was messing with it so I was able to put a pretty good "load" on it while it was in reverse. I am kinda leaning towards the shift rod adjustment.
            RDB, I didn't see your last post till this morning but,I understand what your saying now, I'll check that after some coffee this morning.
            Mike Mathena

Comment

I checked the mounts, I see no sign of salt build up anywhere on the
              motor, the boat was only ran in the San Bernard river in Brazoria since it was new, that might explain the lack of corrosion and salt build up. I was told that the guys dad maintained it properly throughout it's life and let his son(who I bought it from) have it about 8 years ago. I think the son did all the maintenance after that.
              From what I understand it's kinda easy to not set the shift rod right. I was told the water pump impeller was changed last year so that's my next step. Hopefully all that is true and it won't be a pita to disassemble.
              Mike Mathena

Comment

I'm no expert at all. But if you can manually shift and it stays in place with no problems, it sounds like the shifting cable has
                an issue. You've already tried adjusting it and it hasn't helped.
                See if you can follow the cable with your hand and feel even the slightest kink or bulge.

Comment

No kinks or bulges, I found some info and followed that to adjust again, I found the stud that the shifter cable end connects to was bent, that didn't fix it though, the thread also said to try turning the prop by hand while it's in gear to see if it locks in gear. I found the sweet spot in the middle of forward and and reverse, and now if I push just a little past where the remote handle clicks as if to throttle and then bring it back to that stopping point the prop stays engaged in forward and reverse. I reckon I won't know for sure till I can get it to the boat ramp later, but it seems promising.
                  Mike Mathena

Comment

Finally got to the water this evening and launched the boat, the cable adjustment didn't work. I'm gonna try the shift rod next week. So disappointing.
                    Mike Mathena

Comment

Working...
                    X