Cranking strength issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranking strength issue

Recently my cranking strength has been weak then strong intermittently. I thought my battery was going bad so I replaced with new one. Didn't fix the problem. Here's my issue. When I turn the key it sounds like my outboard is dragging to crank over for the first 4 or 5 seconds then it all of a sudden it starts to crank strong and starts. This sometimes takes a couple minutes to get it started. Any idea?

When I had my boat, an older Evinrude motor, I checked the starter, solenoid if it has one, spark plugs and wires, magneto if it has one, power pack. It was the solenoid that was the problem. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
    robert
    And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Let me know what the problem turns out to be ...... It sounds like me in the morning .
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sounds like cables are going bad. Clean connections and try again. If problem is still there by pass cables with jumper cables. If cranks good with jumper cables then you know the cables are bad.

Comment

Thanks guys. I couldn't figure it out so I dropped it off at the shop this morning. I will post what they find out.

Comment

Originally posted by rdb View Post
            Sounds like cables are going bad. Clean connections and try again. If problem is still there by pass cables with jumper cables. If cranks good with jumper cables then you know the cables are bad.
            That's what mine was-power leads to starter fried and burned the wires/cables. You can also touch the positive lead/cable to starter and if it's hot, it's the cable. The wire inside looked like it was thrown in a fire-brittle and discolored.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be corrosion inside the insulation of the cables. they looked good at the connection points but when I cut off the clamp to replace it because I figured it couldn't hurt I found the problem. Hopefully its something that simple especially for your wallets sake. Good luck
              Tight Lines and Calm Seas and remember to enjoy life with friends

Comment

Originally posted by rdb View Post
                Yep, that's what they are telling me. They are replacing them today. I hope its not too expensive.

Comment

Working...
                X