Boat question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat

Good info above and it really depends on your style of fishing. If your a guy that lives in the marsh, a Shallowsport, Flatscat, Majek Redfish line is somthing you might be interested in. If you want to venture to the jetties or offshore from time to time you might look at a different style hull.

If there is a wife and kids that will be fishing that needs to be taken into consideration as well. I would suggest something in the 20 to 22 foot range.

The most important thing is learning the area, Westbay scare's alot of people but it is an easy bay to learn. I run all over Westbay and its coves and backlakes in a 22' Whaler with very little problems. The back marsh is out for me and the back lakes can be a little iffy on the low winter tides but other than that it's all good.

Welcome and best of luck with your new boat!

Gater

Comment

Man! This is the most helpful group of guys ever! I really appreciate all of the advice! I have a Tracker PT185 w/a 90 Merc now. The wife wants a bigger CC for fishing and cruising, hence the Donzi 23ZF. I'm trying to figure out how well my Tracker will work in the skinnier water.
      Robalo! I understand what you're saying about all of the putting! It's miserable!

What are your thoughts on using the Tracker?

Comment

Hell guys!!! It sounds like I need to go fishin with one of you!!!! Anybody up for a trip with a rookie, who, by the way will pay for gas, food, beer, and whatever else, just so he can learn?

Comment

Somebody sign him up and give him a ride, we are in Matagorda now.
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

There isn't any question asked here that's stupid ... no one will think so . A great group of knowledgeable fishermen and women here . When I first got on line here , I asked alot - and still do - basic questions and got nothing but good advice . But , you have opened a can of worms asking about the best boat to use . I think a shallow running boat that allows you to get close in and up bayous , but , still takes some chop is best . All of the above fits the bill . I love my 21 foot tunnel V Explorer . Good luck and welcome !!
            Attached Files
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Another South La. boy here. Nothin' wrong with a Bateau in these waters. But I do suggest a skinny runner if you fish West Bay and around SLP. I love my Carolina Skiff, but if I had the money, I'd have a Shoalwater 18 Flats. A buncha people here run this model and it's darn near perfect.
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Any thoughts on the Shallow Sport 24 modified v, other than the fact that they cost a fortune?

Comment

Rowdy;

The tracker will be OK. It may get a little wet and bouncy if a front hits, but you'll make it back. I don't care what ya have, I been soaked in the 23' Robalo when waves were sideways and wind was 25-40.

Look around, spend some time checking and maybe get some folks here like ya said to maybe run ya around. I am a shrimp soaker and don't go real skinny water (except by mistake!). maybe hire Capt. Gerg Francis-Aqua Pimp on this site and ask him for a "learning trip" for a half day where he shows ya skinny and "regular water".
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I run a tran cat like nwilkens and love it. It seems a tad shorter than what you want though as mine is 16.5. One of the things I like about cat hulls is that they take the chop better than a single hull I think when crossing the bays and a cat will also allow me to rise up quicker from a hole shot as the water is forced onto the motor. I would also say that a jack plate is required for shallow water running as well. Another good thing I like with my boat is it is easy to push off when I do sick it and I do stick it from time to time as I run the shallow stuff chasing reds.

You can also mess around when buying new by adding to it. For instance my console is raised up and I have a platform stand off the bench. This few extra feet, when standing, really helps me to see fish better.

Finally, I would advise just boating around. The way I learned where many of the shoals are is simply by running up on em! Learning West Bay by brail works well, especially the pass area and the back lakes.

Shoot me a PM if you want to take the cat out with me before deciding on a model. I'm sure the other guys on here wouldn't mind taking you out for a spin either.

Take care
                    Brad
                    sigpic

Comment

I run a GTB1860 w/ 35GTR, it's the shallowest running boat in all of West Bay!

Had to throw this one into the mix Enjoy!

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Been watching that new series called "Swamp People" about Gator hunting in the Louisianna swamps and seeing a lot of those gator tails!

It's a tree shaker!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
                          Been watching that new series called "Swamp People" about Gator hunting in the Louisianna swamps and seeing a lot of those gator tails!

It's a tree shaker!
                          They are actually driving Go Devils which we all grew up on if you hunted the swamp etc... But if you want a good motor get a Gator-Tail, nothing beats instant reverse!
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Those go-devils are the deal for S. Louisiana! I love that swamp people show. The wife laughs b/c I can understand them, and she can't!!!

Comment

Brad,
                              That would be great! As I get a little closer, I may seriously take you up on that! I really appreciate the offer!!

Comment

Brad will show you all my spots/places-his real name is "Potlickin Sonagun"!!!

No problema though-he knows I'll pull right in on him and then toss over his line and maybe even relieve my excess beer and methane upwind of him! Sonagun still aint showed me the back of Greens!!
                                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                                X