Mysterious Objects under the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Objects under the water

I was looking at Upper West Bay using Flash Earth and at location 29-17-24.4 N, 94-52-43.6 W which is a couple of blocks West of the causeway near the Galveston Island end I noticed a line of objects under the water. The objects appear to be evenly spaced about 50' apart (just a guess) and continue running parallel to the causeway until they disappear near the ICW then start again in shallower water and continue almost to the mainland shore. In my lifetime I don,t remember anything above the water that would explain what these are. You can't tell how deep they are either but they could be hazardous to the health of a lower unit. By zooming in as much as you can these are very visible.
    Does anyone know what these objects were? Any info would be appreciated, this buggs me!

Bonito

Putting the coordinates in the map led me to Cancun. Lol!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Looks like the remnants of the previous causeway.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
        Looks like the remnants of the previous causeway.
        bingo -- That's exactly what they are. Rock piles from a bridge that's long since gone. Saw lots of lower units ruined on them when i was a kid working at the pleasure island bait camp. (now causeway fishing camp)
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I think you are right. I found more information on the internet. According to the website the first bridge was built in 1859. A wagon bridge was built about 1899. The first causeway (railroad) was built in 1912. The first auto only causeway was built in 1939. I believe it is safe to assume that the rocks now showing are from one of the two first bridges. Also I remember a rock pile that you could see from the causeway( until about 20 years ago) was about a block Northwest of the ICW and about the same distance from the causeway as the rocks now showing on Flash Earth. In fact the first shadow showing in that location is a little larger than the others and may be that rock pile which is now under water.
          Bonito

Comment

I think a lot of boaters find out about that old bridge the hard way, I take my time running through there!
            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I have fished that area for sixty years and did not know they were there. I have however avoided the area on the mainland side because of the reefs, but I have crossed the area on the Island side for years when I launch at the causeway camp. Last November while my truck was parked at the causeway camp my tool box was broken into. Lost a lot of tools as well as the box being ruined.
              Bonito

Comment

Thanks for the reply, you are right according to a web site I found. The first bridge was built in 1859 and a wagon bridge built about 1899

Bonito

Comment

Thanks for the reply and info,

Bonito

Comment

you talking about these...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X