New Yakker to forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yakker to forum

Been around this island most of my life -- started out as a long-haired hippie surf bum in high school -- and finally moved here three years ago. The wife loved the water but didn't want to get in it - then I bought us some kayaks. Can't get her out of it now! Been paddling around the West End for a couple of years now with a few successful fishing days but nothing to brag about. I think it's time to take it a little more seriously and this forum seems to a number of "successful fishing days" being made somewhat public so I'm reading it upside down, backwards, forwards, whatever way I can. Not just looking for where to catch them but how to read the world around them from their point of view. Oh, and now my wife wants to fish too -- good or bad I don't know but if we start catching them at least that gives us another limit to work with.

Lots of guides on here - any yak specific recommendations?

Welcome. Thats good your wife wants to fish!
    Karma's a beach.

Comment

welcome!
      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few kayakers on here so keep on with what you're already doing. Read all the reports and the chit chat. If you want to accelerate the learning curve, book a half day or full day trip with any of the guides that are sponsors of the site. It is a very good way to get up to speed on how to work different conditions, winds, etc. You'll also make a friend or two along the way.

For immediate gratification, you can't beat launching from the old KOA campground for a trip around Titlum Tatlum, Churchill Bayou and Cold Pass. When I first got my kayak, I spent alot of time there learning the lay of the land. Now that winter is here, you'll probably want to move up the bay towards South Deer Island or Offats. You can launch from Sportsmans Rd and hit South Deer Island and Confederate Reef. Good for a kayak drift or a wade.

Good luck. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Free advice flows freely around here.....so does Taaka.
          "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Haven't ventured across SLP yet. Launching from the above named places and others down to Sea Isle.

Comment

just make sure you wear ur life jacket at the pass!!! very important and good luck friend....

Comment

Welcome.Got me a yak for Christmas.
                Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                  "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                    If I was looking for a Kayak Guide, I'd check with Kaitlyn (sp?) Barlow of Notorious Guide Service. She consistently catches impressive fish.
                    Galveston Island State Park also has a couple good yak lauches.
                    Last edited by Curmudgeon; December 28, 2012, 07:55 AM. Reason: Lurefisher spelling school.
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

New Yakker to forum

Welcome ,Gilbert is one he!! Of a k guide !!!
                      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Re: New Yakker to forum

[QUOTE=lurefisher;247346]Welcome ,Gilbert is one he!! Of a k guide !!![/QUOTE) guide for what?
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

New Yakker to forum

Quit shearling me and look out the window !!!!!

Comment

New Yakker to forum

Sharking

Comment

Re: New Yakker to forum

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                              Sharking
                              K
                              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                              X