Jamaica Bch. sojourner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica Bch. sojourner

Hi, everyone. . .I grew up (well, sort of) in Pasadena, Texas. For kicks, I stay a few days or weeks now and then in Jamaica Beach. You see, my wife & I care for my cousins' place at JB since they live far from JB & we don't.

As a boy, my only model for saltwater fishing know-how and basic fishing etiquette was my dad. We wet lines once or twice a year on the Texas coast. We rarely fished freshwater. In his fish-catching efforts, Dad used nothing but frozen shrimp and cut bait hurled in the surf or from a pier or bulkhead. We used El Cheapo rods and reels. He never owned a fishing boat. (He was a sailor of small sailboats from his youth.) Of course, I never learned much about fishing boats or outboard motors from Dad. And he never caught but a handful of keeper fish in all the years and times we fished together.

In recent years, after retiring from teaching in 2008, I surrendered to my love of fishing, bought a jonboat and a refurbished outboard motor, and have begun fishing dozens of times a year.

Then IT happened. Despite multiple tune-ups by different marine repairmen, my motor would no longer start for me and keep running for me except in the presence of the repairmen, so I sold it.

Now I'm "making do" with a trolling motor and limiting myself to short-distance outings in my boat, like rivers, small lakes, the canals at JB, and the southernmost end of Karankahua Reef. I do surf fish, wade fish, and sling baits from land, too. A handful of times, I've fished on party boats or with friends in their boats and have generally caught nice messes of fish. I suppose that I fish freshwater almost as much as I fish saltwater.

But speaking of saltwater fishing, I've caught keeper-sized specks, reds, and flounder, but never on the same day and never more than one such fish in a single day. I've learned that live bait often yields game fish while dead bait often yields disappointment. I've used artificials in freshwater & have caught fish on 'em. In saltwater, I've hooked but not caught fish on them. I've made mistakes "in the fishing arena"--none too serious, Thank God. I know that I do not know it all and am often open to constructive advice about boats, fishing, and such.

I love being on the water; catching fish is Icing on the Cake.

Hope I meet some of you sometime. If we do meet, "what say" we do some Catchin' !
    Last edited by john bo toner; July 12, 2014, 12:49 AM.
    Delhi jonboat, trolling motor, & fanatacism for fishing

Welcome aboard!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome aboard
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Welcome ,good entrance !
            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Welcome aboard.
              Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                X